March 22

Biology 1106: Lab #9: Poster Presentation and Corrections

Garrett Darden

Biology 1106-Section 25

Dr. Adair

3/22/2019

CILI-CURE Lab #9: Poster Presentation and Corrections

Objective: The objective of lab this week was to present our posters to the entire class in an effort to explain why our group’s particular strain should be sequenced. After our presentation we also received criticisms and critiques of our poster and we begun to correct it for he final due date of next week.

Purpose: The purpose of this lab was to have us get used to presenting our research in front of others and to be able to adequately answer and defend our research and our poster. We also were to be able to take constructive criticism and use it to improve our poster boards for future labs.

Materials:

1. Computer with Internet Connection
  2. Copy of Poster Rough Draft
  3. Editing Software in Order to Begin Corrections

Procedure: 

1. Present the poster to the class for around ten minutes
  2. Answer anyone’s questions about the poster
  3. Take note and write down all of the criticism/critiques that are given by your fellow students, TA’s/LA’s, and the professor.
  4. Access the editable version of the poster board and begin correcting the poster.
  5. If any questions/concerns arise while correcting the posters, talk with others for advice or answers to your question

Results/Data: 

The main criticism that was levied against my group’s poster was that it was way too wordy and detailed with few pictures. We also had some other minor errors in titling, wording of phrases, and with the figures as well, like a lack of a figure representing the soil texture assay. After receiving these criticisms we drastically redid multiple sections like the methodology and the conclusion, and we added in some new pictures that we can use to explain our research without the need for extra verbiage on the poster. While this is not the final draft, this is definitely a step towards correcting it and I will be adding the new copy of the poster to this lab notebook.

Conclusion: In conclusion, I was able to decently present our poster and begin to take the critiques in order to correct our poster. I believe that there is definitely many ways I could have improved our presentation and our poster, but I believe that our beginning point was very good and definitely will be a good springboard into improving the poster over the next several weeks.

Future Goals: In future labs I want to be able to improve in my presentation skills so that I can better convey the information that I need to present. I also want to be able to create better posters in the future so that I can create great posters for upcoming presentations like scholars week and the CURE Symposium.

Note: This lab notebook is a little short for me because I am also working on the other poster for the research from last semester.

Posted March 22, 2019 by garrett_darden1 in category Garrett Darden-31