Instant Impact

News from Baylor School of Education

Alyssa Messier, BSEd ’14, MSEd ’15 — First-Year Teacher Reflection

Alyssa Messier, BSEd ’14, MSEd ’15
Golbow Elementary, Katy ISD, fifth-grade English and Language Arts

When reflecting on my first year, all I can think is, “What a whirlwind!” It was chaotic, exhausting, but oh so rewarding! It was the most trying and worthwhile year of my life.

AlyssaMessier-BaylorTeacherThe Baylor SOE program did a phenomenal job at preparing me to instruct my own classroom. When I began my first day, I felt that I had a good grasp on classroom management, I was already familiar with workshop — thanks Dr. [Barbara] Cassidy and Mrs. [Margaret] Thomson — and I was beyond enthusiastic. I knew the most important aspect of teaching was building relationships, and those relationships with both students and co-workers helped carry me through the year.

While yes, the education program prepared me for many of the challenges that I would face, there will always be some challenges that you never see coming. For example, “differentiation” is a word that I was very familiar with. I understood its importance, but it was not until I had to differentiate for nearly 70 fifth graders that I truly understood how difficult and critical it was. I was tested each day trying to meet each student’s needs. If you’re looking for a great resource, I have found that The Reading Strategies Book, by Jennifer Serravallo, is a great way to find strategies and was a total life saver for me!

AlyssaMessier-BaylorTeacher2Not only did I have to learn how to truly differentiate for 70 students, I also had to learn how to communicate with 70 sets of parents. This was an aspect of teaching that I had observed through my internship, but did not have to be responsible for until I started teaching my own class. Communication with parents is key. Although I teach at a Title 1 school, my parents are still very supportive, and communicating with them helped push my students to the next level. It is important to remind yourself you are not in it alone. Parents, administration, and other teachers are all there to help you succeed. When you succeed, a student succeeds; and at the end of the day that is what we are all working towards.

Your first year of teaching will be overwhelming. There will be days when you ask yourself, “Why did I not choose something easier? Why did I not find a job that allows me to just work from 9-5, Monday through Friday?” But then you go to school, and you see your students. They will make you laugh, cry, and every day they will remind you why you are a teacher.

This year was hard, but I made a difference in nearly 70 students’ lives. This year was hard, but I would not have changed a single minute of it. This year was hard, but I am beyond excited to do it all again starting in August.

AlyssaMessier-BaylorTeacherNote

RETURN TO THE MAIN “FIRST-YEAR REFLECTION” PAGE.