Instant Impact

News from Baylor School of Education

Sarah Lopez Ford, BSEd ’17 — First-Year Teacher Reflection

Sarah Lopez Ford, BSEd ’17, Ford Middle School, Allen ISD
Eighth-grade Pre-AP/IB Spanish 1

Sarah Lopez with her students on Multicultural Celebration Night at their school

As my first year of teaching wraps up, all I can think is, “Oh my gosh. I did it!”

In April of 2017, I was hired as the eighth-grade Pre-AP Spanish teacher at Ford Middle School in Allen ISD. I was the only first-year teacher at my school and let me tell you, it was so intimidating. Luckily, the faculty, staff and administration at FMS are some of the most encouraging people I have ever met. I was able to learn so much from my colleagues as I faced difficult situations and dealt with “middle school teacher problems”.

Being the only Spanish teacher in my school came with its own challenges. I had to rely on myself and make the best decision I could for my students without the luxury of being able to consult with other Spanish teachers on my campus. This was by far the most difficult part of the year. It was lonely at times, but it allowed me to take full ownership of my position and come into my own as a teacher. Without my professors and mentor teachers from Baylor and Midway Middle School, there is no way I would have survived this year. Baylor’s School of Education prepared me for my own classroom so much more than I could have imagined!

This year has been full of so many joyful moments that I know I will remember for the rest of my life. I feel so blessed to have been given the opportunity to pour into the lives of young people each and every day.

Here are my best pieces of advice for new teachers to remember:

1. God will never give you more than you can handle and He always makes a way.
  2. Don’t limit yourself; you really can do more than you think.
  3. Take in all of the “firsts” (first detention, first kind note from a student, first parent phone call — all of the firsts!)
  4. It’s not all about the lesson plans; sometimes you need to take a few minutes to be present with your students and check in on them.
  5. Schedule your joy. It is so easy to get wrapped up in grading, planning, and emails. Remember to rest and spend time doing what makes you happy!

Students could only decorate HALF of their faces for Day of the Dead