The Importance of Collaboration

By: Emily Neyland, BBA 2018

We did it. Well, almost. We succeeded in narrowing down a list of about 60 organizations to nine that will receive funding this semester. And because of this success, as a class, we’re excited. We’re excited for the lives we’ll get to touch. We’re excited to fund organizations we’ve grown so close to over the semester. We’re excited to help make Waco a better place.

Teamwork has been crucial getting to this point. Initially I underestimated its importance. But the three teammates (now friends) that I’ve worked with this semester in the Hunger & Homelessness group made this process exciting and engaging. We were successful because we used our individual skills to create a more cohesive, well-run group. We brought different strengths, from speaking in groups to editing to analysis of data. This semester we’ve made hard decisions. And my group made that possible. They pushed me to ask questions, engage in meaningful conversation, and strive to continually be learning.

Teamwork extended outside of my group to the class as a whole. We needed to collaborate to finalize the list of organizations we’re funding. And that took collaboration that extended beyond our three to four person groups. This process spanned about a week. Over this time, we listened to presentations, asked questions, and pitched certain organizations to the class. To finalize the list of organizations we’re funding, teamwork was essential. We needed to realize that the organizations we were pitching might not be the best. Other organizations around Waco could be better situated than ours—a fact that some of us needed to accept. There is a lot of good being done in Waco right now. There are leaders striving to end hunger, provide education for children, fix housing, cultivate a creative city, and so much more. How we’re able to find the most fitting organizations to fund wasn’t easy; and we knew that from the beginning.

I was amazed at the humility of my classmates in the process of narrowing down and picking organizations. They were willing to vouch for organizations that were not in their program area. In this, they trusted the judgment and research of others. I have learned a lot from this group of colleagues that helped me see the power of collaborating effectively.

At the beginning of the semester part of the mission statement we created said, “Our mission is to serve and collaborate with Waco-area organizations to enhance lives and enrich our community through innovative and sustainable efforts.” Collaboration seems simplistic, but now I understand how foundational it is. For us to work well together and impact the community like we hope, we must collaborate with humility, trust, and respect.

About the Author: Emily Neyland is a sophomore from Houston, TX. She is majoring in Business Fellows and Marketing while also studying Math, Public Relations, and Corporate Communications. She is involved in Waco KLIFE, Mission Waco, and Chi Omega.