Onward We Go

By: Grace Miller

With our biggest decision behind us now, our class looks excitedly toward the future and toward the finish line.

At this point, we know which organizations will be funded and which ones will not. We know which projects we will be able to contribute to and watch grow over the next year or so. Although it stings to have to choose so few organizations out of all those worthy, we are excited and enthusiastic about the projects moving forward. We are confident in our choices and their ability to do the most good for this community.

This is such an exciting time! Everything we have been working toward the entire semester is rapidly coming to a close. It seems like only yesterday we were meeting in our project teams for the first time, getting to know each other and discussing our expectations for this course. Now, we find ourselves approaching the final stages and adjusting all the little details.

It’s been a whirlwind, but I think it’s safe to say this experience has exceeded all of our expectations. I know it has well exceeded mine. This chance to be a part of something bigger than ourselves, as part of our education, is so unique. I don’t think any of us realized how difficult these decisions and processes would be, but each one has contributed to our growth as students, as philanthropists, and as people. I wish every student had the opportunity to do something like this.

During our board meeting, it was neat to see everyone had the big picture in mind. We each, of course, wanted to push for the organizations from our own program areas, but I was surprised by how many people started speaking up for organizations from areas not their own. No one was selfish; instead, everyone truly wanted to do what was best. There was an attitude and atmosphere of working toward the most good, and that was necessary for us to come to the best decision for the group as a whole.

I think that attitude is important to keep in mind as we move forward. Of course, we each want the organizations from our program areas to receive as much funding as they need, but we have to remember the big picture. It’s not just about my program area or this organization I’ve grown so fond of—there are others out there who are just as worthy. It’s not a competition for funds, but it may be difficult to put all the pieces together and make them fit.

Let’s approach this final section of the course with that kind of attitude again. If we do, the next phase will be as smooth as the last. Onward we go!