jump to navigation

Baylor in Budapest Makes Comeback December 11, 2020

Posted by Mia Moody-Ramirez in : Uncategorized , trackback

By Amber Adamson & Maxey Parrish

After having to cancel last year’s trip due to COVID, we are excited to be planning for the Baylor in Budapest Summer 2021 program.

Baylor in Budapest is in its fifth year. Students focus on all aspects of multi-media journalism and public relations to produce an online publication built around travel writing. The marvelous settings of Prague, Budapest and Bratislava provide ample material for inspirational writing and photography.

Students do more than take classes and prepare published material. Each is assigned a staff position that replicates an internship experience. Students live in apartments and have debit cards to provide money for meals. Guest lecturers from local universities bring the Eastern European culture up close. This immersive lifestyle adds to the depth of subjects to explore.

Here’s what a few students who are signed up for this summer’s trip had to say.

I am so excited for Baylor in Budapest because I think it is going to be a life changing experience! With the challenges of COVID, having something like this to look forward to is so encouraging. I know I will learn so much and the experience I will gain will be irreplaceable! 

-Lauren Boyt, junior journalism major 

I can’t wait to study in Budapest this summer and grow as a journalist. I’m especially looking forward to the visit to Radio Free Europe in Prague at the beginning of the trip.

-Meredith Howard, senior journalism major

Baylor in Budapest is a program that I have been looking forward to since I was in high school. Prof. Parrish is passionate about this trip and has taught me valuable lessons in the journalism world, as well as in life. I am grateful for the opportunity to travel as a Baylor student abroad and strengthen skills for my career in the process.

-Rylie York, junior journalism major

In just five weeks, students grow personally and gain skills in ways they never could at home.

Here’s what a few students who have been on the trip before had to say.

When you think of studying abroad, it may seem like a super intimidating experience that only few people get to take part in. In reality, studying abroad was one of the greatest experiences of my life, and it left me with a new perspective of the world and lifelong friends. My time in Budapest opened my eyes to another world of culture, history and beauty that I wouldn’t have experienced if I hadn’t taken that step to learn more about the Baylor in Budapest program. I’m forever grateful for Professor Parrish and the time I had.

-Sion Firew, class of 2020

Courses offered in the program are:

JOU 3355 Media Photography I
JOU 3356 Media Photography II
JOU 3389 Magazine and Feature Writing
JOU 3397 Advanced Magazine Editing
JOU 4V95 Special Studies in Journalism

The cost of the trip is around $12,000. This covers tuition, flights and program fees, as well as housing, transportation and a few meals. Students may apply for scholarships for the summer program.

If interested in Baylor in Florence, contact Maxey Parrish or Amber Adamson for more information.

Comments»

no comments yet - be the first?