Student Spotlight: Lynneth Miller (From the 2018 ITS & Libraries Magazine)

Lynneth Miller graduated with a doctorate in history this Spring. During her four years at Baylor she served on the Libraries/ITS Student Advisory Committee (LITSSAC) as a representative from the Graduate School. In this interview, she shares her experiences on the committee and how it helped her better understand the work of the University Libraries and ITS.

What drew you to the committee and how did you get involved with it in the first place?
I ended up on the committee within a month of coming to Baylor. The Graduate Student Association (GSA) president at the time needed someone on the committee from the GSA and we’re in the same department, so he asked me to be on the committee. I was pretty much immediately involved which turned out to be really useful in that, coming to Baylor, I wasn’t aware of how many resources the library had. So, the committee itself was a great way to hear about the many things the library offers.

Can you talk about your perspective as a student on the committee? How did library and ITS resources help you with this position?
Being on the committee made me aware of how many different components fit within the library. As a historian, I was familiar with books and online databases the libraries provided, but I was not as aware of things like the TechPoint Desk, which allows students to check out laptops, projectors, cameras, chargers and other devices. I also learned about the Video Booth, a flexible recording space designed for students and faculty. Many of the problems students brought up during committee meetings were issues that often the Libraries faculty and staff already had solutions for – students were simply not aware. Hearing about how much work has been put into addressing student needs gave me a greater appreciation for the things the libraries do. It equipped me to help my peers and students with problems.

Have you contributed to any idea on the committee that has been implemented?
I was actually on the committee at the time they developed the Graduate Research Center and I know a lot of that was done in outside brainstorming sessions, but a lot of things that the center features actually came out of feedback from the committee itself.

How have the libraries and their resources influenced your scholarship?
I’ve used Early English Books Online (EEBO) quite extensively – it’s one of the key databases for my dissertation. Obviously, things like JSTOR and the physical collections in the library have been very helpful, as well as OsoFast. Eileen Bentsen, the subject librarian for my field, has been a huge resource for me in helping track down resources or publications that are a bit harder to acquire. I also did the Baylor Digital Scholars Program. Through it, I learned how my research could incorporate digital humanities tools, including developing syllabi. These were very valuable skills in the job market and my personal job search.

Did you ever come across a resource that you wish you’d had access to but didn’t?
I can’t really think of one. Anytime I ran across something I needed I would go talk to Eileen and it would sort of magically appear. [Laughs]

This article originally appeared in the 2018 ITS & Libraries Magazine