Command A? Delete.

Last semester I took an introductory course in information management systems. Actually, this blog was started as a project for that class. Basically, we learned how to use computer programs such as Microsoft Excel or WordPress. I learned so much, that I have already forgotten it. (If we are being honest.) HOWEVER. I did learn some handy shortcuts that have stuck with me.

The best being command plus a. (Control + A if you are using a PC)

THIS SAVES SO MUCH TIME!!! Instead of highlighting something and scrolling forever, with just the pressing of two keys, you have already highlighted it all. and with one swift press of the delete button, it is gone. I was honestly amazed. I am certainly no computer genius, and I see no future in information technology. But I love little tricks.

I’ve used it when writing essays for class at 1:00 in the morning because whatever I write at that time is never of any value.

I’ve used it when drafting an email to a teacher snd I stopped paying attention and suddenly I see “Hello Professor! I am wonderinnhhhggggggggggggggggggggggggggg g g jsefgaw.” (Which has happened to me far too often.)

I’ve used it when writing blog posts that are a spew of thoughts that shouldn’t be read by anyone.

Now, for your enjoyment, I will include pictures from the past four years of my life that I probably should have deleted. These a from the bus trip back from a choir performance, featuring my good friend, Julia.
IMG_1744IMG_1747

Isn’t it nice to have the ability to just press delete though? We can almost erase any aspect of our lives. We can delete an embarrassing picture from Facebook and pretend it never happened. We can delete someone’s number if we are hurt or angry and pretend they don’t eIMG_1910xist. We can delete old messages on our phone that make us sad and pretend that we are ok.

But the thing about deleting something is that it is a temporary fix. Certainly, you no longer have to see it. And no one else has to. But it is still a part of you and your identity, and you can embrace it or let go. But just deleting it won’t fix anything. (Even though I should have deleted some of these pictures ;))

David, King of Israel, was a man after God’s own heart. But when he royally messed up, (I think I’m funny.) he ran from his problems. I love reading the Psalms written by David in those times because I relate to what he was saying. Because no matter what we leave behind when we press that delete button, God still sees, and it is still in our hearts.

“Hide your face from my sins

and blot out my iniquity.

Create in me a pure heart, O God,

and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

Do not cast me from you presence

or take your Holy Spirit from me.

Restore to me the joy of your salvation

and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.”    -Psalm 51:8-12

God is capable of forgiving us of everything, and providing us with healing for anything. Anything. In this passage, David is asking for forgiveness for committing adultery and then murdering the woman’s husband. And God hears his cry.

The promise of a pure heart is not only for sin however. When you think of the reasons you delete something, what are they? Heartbreak, anger, shame, embarrassment, pain, sadness, awkwardness… In my opinion, the list could go on and on and on. But this is not what God desires for us. When we have renewed spirits and the Holy Spirit is within us we are no longer filled with those things:

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control [and now] those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.”   -Galatians 5:22-24

Not that deleting anything is all that bad. Sometimes it can even be healthy. Maybe the memories can make us smile when we look back to see where we were and how far we’ve come. Maybe it’s only temporary. Whatever the case, as long as our hearts are in the right place, and we have a little bit of Jesus within us, we will be ok.

IMG_2059 IMG_3176 IMG_2837

One Comment