jump to navigation

News Pioneer and Legend Rick Bradfield Passes Away September 5, 2021

Posted by Mia Moody-Ramirez in : Uncategorized , trackback

The world lost a news pioneer and a legend when KWTX Managing Editor, long-time adjunct faculty member and Baylor Journalism, Public Relations & New Media alumnus Rick Bradfield, 66, passed away on Sept. 2, 2021.

Students benefited from his wisdom, patience and sweet spirit. Before Student Media Director Bruce Gietzen was hired in 2019, Bradfield was the primary source of information for majors interested in broadcast journalism.

“Such an incredible person,” said Kennedy Dendy in a Facebook post. She is a reporter and anchor for KEZI 9 News in Western Oregon. “Feels like just yesterday I was sitting in his broadcast journalism class my senior year at Baylor. His teaching and guidance was top notch. Taught me how to conduct my first live shot, and I still think about his words each time I’m reporting.”

In another Facebook post, JPR&NM alumna Amanda Hill Lewis said. “Rick was such a compelling storyteller, I’ll always remember him telling us about his experience covering the Branch Davidians. He will be missed.”

Bradfield’s career spanned 45 years in Waco. JPR&NM faculty and staff often noted Bradfield’s sense of humor, loyalty and strong work ethic. Bradfield, who had been sick for several months, worked right up to the day he passed away. Cause of death is reportedly a heart attack.

“While he hadn’t been feeling well for a few months, in true Bradfield fashion, the dedicated newsman being remembered today as a ‘pioneer,’ a ‘legend,’ and a ‘giant of a man,’ worked until the day he died,’ said KWTX colleague Julie Hays.

He was a Baylor JPR&NM adjunct professor for 25 years. He taught electronic news. Bradfield is also known as being an upstanding human being.

“This one hit like a sledgehammer,” classmate Bob Darden said. “Rick and I were in David McHam’s Journalism 101 (or whatever it was called) together in Fall 1972… there are few people I’ve known longer or respected more than Rick Bradfield. I giant of a human being.”

He loved talking about politics and the news, said Baylor Department of Journalism, Public Relations & New Media Chair.

“My husband, Augie, and I spent many occasions with him and Cassy, and he always made us laugh. I am going to miss his wisdom and contributions to the department.”

Bradfield is survived by longtime partner Dr. Cassy Burleson, sister Nancy Bradfield, and son Rob Bradfield.

Prayers for his many friends, colleagues and family.

Comments»

no comments yet - be the first?