The White Horse

The hike to the White Horse was so much fun. The planning of it got a little confusing because we kept changing the date but when we finally decided to keep it on Friday we got it all figured out. We met at Tom Gate around 9:45 and then took a bus to Wantage. At Wantage we split up to have lunch in the various restaurants around the town center. I went to Le Petite Pain with a few other people and enjoyed a delicious sandwich. Then we walked around Wantage a bit and got on a bus to Uffington.

The bus ride was great because there were some old men sitting up at the front that kept making jokes the whole time. It was hilarious. The bus driver let us out near the path to the White Horse and we walked up a beautiful tree covered path. Horses and sheep were all around us and it was just great to be out in nature. There were tons of signs for other footpaths and I was tempted to go exploring but I knew that we had to get to White Horse first.

(photos from the lovely Margaret Patterson)  

The actual hike up to Dragon Hill, White Horse, and Uffington Castle was a little difficult. My legs were definitely feeling it and so were my lungs. But once we got up on top of the hill the views were extraordinary. Absolutely breath taking. We walked around the White Hose and Uffington Castle taking pictures and talking about the history of it all. I really had so much fun.

We then hiked back down the hills and got a coach back to Wantage then a bus back to Oxford. It was a lovely day and the weather had been absolutely perfect.