Vaccine for Staph?

I think most of you know that I am interested in Staphylococcus aureus, particularly alternatives to treating this disease with antibiotics.  This week I read a news report that describes a hopeful vaccine.  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/131220143124.htm

The research was published in the Journal of Infectious Disease.  I wonder what type of biotech is required to make this vaccine?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized on by .

About Adair

I am a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Biology. My research interests are in genomics and microbiology, especially S. aureus and bacteriophage. I am convinced that the best way to teach science is to do science and my current work includes transforming our introductory labs to Classroom Undergraduate Research Experiences in Biology (CURES in BIO).

One thought on “Vaccine for Staph?

1. jeremysieker

Is there not a very specific danger to this, though? If they simply inhibit the toxin, then what will be the affects of silent infections? If no toxins are produced, people will not be able to tell they are infected until the bacteria are overwhelming. Is that an issue if they are simply left to reproduce?

Reply