He said; she said 9/20/13

I read a story from the lariat today titled, Flash floods stalled cars on University Parks Drive.  The story talked about cars that were being stalled out because of the standing water collecting on University Parks Drive.  I think that the quotes were used in a effective manner to give the story confirmation.  The police chief commented, “Police officers rescued three people from their vehicles but there were no injuries.”  It shows that the writer did not just make the article up just because it is raining heavily outside.  The quotes used in the story also make it seem more surreal as he later commented, “we’re asking drivers to use extreme caution.”  It shows that this is a real and serious situation that should not be taking lightly.  I would want to be quoted in a news story to give the article more confirmation on the matter.  It helps when you use quotes in stories because it gives the reader a sense of this really happened, as opposed to it could be made up.  I think all stories in newspapers should have some quotes to give the reader something to think about.