Homecoming and All That Jazz

By Emily Woodby

You may not know, but this weekend is the famous Baylor Homecoming! There will be even more green and gold than normal, alumni all over campus and Sic ‘Ems galore – who’s ready?

Homecoming is one of the coolest traditions that is really unique to this university. I love seeing all of the older couples holding hands and sporting their BU ball caps while little girls in Baylor cheerleading uniforms race to see the bears. My absolute favorite part is Pigskin. Watching the groups sing and dance their hearts out is so much fun! Thursday night was the opening, and I went with a couple of my friends to cheer on my brother and his fraternity. The show was incredible! Tyler sang beautifully, and I was a proud little sis. I have no shame in the fact that I’ll be going again tonight with my family to watch it all over again!

Last weekend was fall break, and I was lucky enough to fly up to Kansas to visit one of my best friends from high school! Not only did I get to see her, but it was also the weekend of the Baylor and Kansas State game! I have to say that I have never felt so awkward during a football game in my life. Wow. I was fully immersed in the sea of purple that was the K-State student section. Thankfully, I wore neutral colors and did my best to not cheer too loudly. I am a huge football fan, so it was definitely a challenge.

Even though it was killing me, I stayed pretty quite most of the game. However, when we intercepted their pass in the fourth quarter, I forgot my surroundings and started jumping up and down yelling “YES YES YES!!” right as the whole stadium became silent. There was not a noise to be heard except my enthusiastic cheers. Don’t worry though, I made it out of the game alive and am here to tell the tale. You know you are a true Baylor Bear fan when you risk your life to cheer on your team. Sic ‘Em!