Spiritual Ministry in Kenya

A brief summary of the 2 1/2 days of spiritual ministry that God allowed me to take part in at the clinic in Namanga:

7/25

Among all the work being done, spiritual work was lacking.

7/26

Spiritually, today was better. Pastor Tom had a prayer chair set up where he prayed for many patients and even led two people to Christ! I also noticed other doctors praying more. Late in the day,I met a 12 yr. old girl Agnes and her three younger siblings. I felt led by God to share with them the gospel using the evangecube after they had taught me phrases of Swahili and other things about Kenyan culture. I explained the gospel in english and only Agnes understood. I asked her to reapeat it back to me using the cube, and she said she could do it in Swahili. So, she started expaining it to her siblings and the other patients in the clinic in Swahili. God was already growing this seed and allowing it to bear fruit. Furthermore, the girl asked to keep the cube so that she could tell the story of Jesus to all of her friends. She had told me that one of her friends was not Christian. Even if Agnes only shares the gospel with this one friend and that friend comes to Christ, it will all be worth it!

7/27

Today was a great day in the clinic. I spent maybe only the first two hours rounding with the docs. I saw one girl who needed an IV drip and a vitamin K injection because she had gotton her tooth pulled yesterday, but her body was not clotting the blood properly. Dave also saw a boy with a mysterious rash all over his body. Other than that, I didn’t see much. The rest of the day I spent with children.

After yesterday and the sharing the gospel with the evangecube to Agnes and giving it to her to share with friends and family, I was praying that God would show me new things today and I was determined not to let the whole day slip away before starting to share the gospel. Agnes came back today, but I started with blowing bubbles. Just like with sharing the gospel with anybody, you must form a relationship. Fortunately, in Kenya all the people, and especially the children are very friendly. So, through blowing bubbles, I formed a relationship with many of the children. They knew my name David Lau and asked me if I knew Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee. They also asked me about Obama.

Later in the day, one of the ladies from the church, Christine, Sam’s mother, came and started to tell the gospel story to the children. Not only did the children know this format of teaching from schools, but the Kenyans ARE a story-telling culture. There were many children at first as she started to share the gospel and I prayed that the children would be receptive and that God would speak through her. It was great to be able to have a Kenyan speaking Kiswahili share with them rather than myself, and just support her through prayer. As she started speaking, some older boys started leaving and pulling some other boys away with them. Alyssa asked them why they left and they said that they were Muslims, not Christians (I didn’t know this until later).

After the stories, Alexa started sharing with some of the Muslim girls and I got to talking with the Muslim boys. There was one boy named Jama who I gave the cube to at the end of the day. He not only knew how to use the cube, but could explain it. However, he was muslim. When he originally requested the cube, I asked him, how can you preach what you don’t believe and he replyed that he believed Christianity, just not the fact that Jesus is God. Well, that’s kind of what Christianity is all about.  However, I think God convicted me the second time I thought about giving him the cube and I figured that it couldn’t hurt to give him the cube, because he told me that he would share it with others. I mean, if God can use our team of doctors, then God, in all His mysterious ways, can certainly use a little Muslim boy to spread His word.

I asked them if they understood and they said yes. I felt that I needed to ask them if they wanted make a decision. So, I asked them if they wanted to have a relationship with Jesus and believe in him. They said no. They said that they are proud of their religion. I repeated that I am not proud of a religion, but that I am proud to be a follower of Jesus or that I am proud to have a relationship with jesus. I was almost surprised at myself that I spoke so boldly and at that moment, I believed it more than anything in my heart. I explained later to Jama that I cannot force anyone to become a Christian by having them go on their knees and praying over them. I told him that it is between him and God and that he ever wants to make that decision to have a relationship with Jesus, than he needs to believe that in his heart and God will know.

7/28

This last day in clinic, I go the opportunity to be an ambassador for Christ to a Muslim man waiting in line to be seen. We chatted for about an hour and after having a friendly argument for a while and going in circles a couple times, we both agreed that Do ultimately changes people, that no amount of arguing would change either of our beliefs and that we would pray for each other and for ourselves that God would direct us to the Truth. I continue to pray for that man. And I praise God for that conversation in which I know God was working in is man’s heart as well as my own.

This entry was posted in Kenya Medical Missions, Personal Journal. Bookmark the permalink.