Staff Spotlight: Jonathan Tomes

Today, we’re getting to know the newest addition to the Poage Library staff, Jonathan Tomes. Jonathan comes to Poage from the Baylor Libraries Research and Engagement team, and he is now the new Graduate Research Center Operations Manager. Jonathan was kind enough to answer some questions so we could get to know him a little bit better.

Where are you from and how did you end up at Baylor?

My wife and I found our way to Waco and Baylor after working for two years as house parents at a children’s home in Glen Rose. Shawna is the studio art teacher at Harmony Science Academy, and I began at the Baylor Library shortly after we arrived in Waco. We both grew up in West Texas.

Tell me about your educational journey. What did/do you study and how does that connect to your work with Baylor libraries?

I studied psychology (B.A.) at Angelo State University, and, then, theology (M.Div) at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. This past week I began a master’s in Library Science at the University of North Texas. Libraries are interdisciplinary by nature. Multiple areas of knowledge and experience feed into the work of the Library. For the past three years, I have worked reference and circulation as part of the Baylor Libraries Research and Engagement team. This has put me in close and regular contact with the academic needs of Baylor’s graduate students.

Outside of work/school, what do you enjoy doing? What are you passionate about?

I’m passionate about theology, history, woodworking, and our growing family. Right now, we are building a dining room table, and then (next month) a crib.

What’s your favorite movie and what do you think your choice says about you?

Recently, I’ve greatly enjoyed the films of Whit Stillman. I like a movie that requires significant thought afterward in order to get at the purpose.

What will your responsibilities be with the GRC?

As the GRC operations manager, I will provide leadership and operational supervision for the GRC, to include the creation and execution of superior programming in consultation with the Director of the Poage Library.

What do you look most forward to when working with the GRC?

I’m excited to work closely with Baylor’s graduate students, staff, and faculty, for academic excellence and the advancement of Baylor’s mission through the unique vision of the Graduate Research Center.