Dr. Jedidah Isler is a confident speaker and leader who is proud of her accomplishments. She spoke from her own leadership style of authentic leadership. Dr. Isler is open and honest with the people she leads in her career of astrophysics. She is also diverse with her studies in astrophysics and her passion to allow access for women into the STEM field. I felt that I could learn from some of her leadership practices and she also cautioned me against some practices.

Dr. Isler speaks boldly and confidently to her audience. I admire the confidence she has when approaching her followers or fellow activists. Clear and honest communication is an important piece to being an authentic leader. Most followers are desiring an authentic leader who is willing to share and be open with them. I can find it difficult to be completely authentic with people even though it seems to be the most desirable quality followers seek in strong leaders.

However, being completely authentic with followers is not always possible. Some things within leadership must remain secret from the followers. Whenever followers have grown accustomed to an authentic and fully open leader, they feel entitled to all information with a group. While it is important that communication be honest, authentic leaders can sometimes blur the lines between keeping a good relationship with followers and doing what is best for all of those involved.

Dr. Isler has managed to pursue multiple interests and manage them with her vocation. She became the first woman to graduate from Yale with a graduate degree in astrophysics. Since working in this career, she has also pursued her desire to make easier access for other women to enter the STEM world. I admire her passion and dedication to a injustice she feels needs to be fixed. I hope to find an issue in my personal career and vocation that I can work toward correcting as Dr. Isler does.