October 2

my new bestie

Believe it or not, I was shy once upon time and believe it or not it was recently when I broke out of my shell. My freshman year here I had 3 roommates in the Texana girl dorm. I knew one of them because it was my basketball teammate, but the other two I had not met them yet. One day I needed help in a class that I had with girl in room A, so it took everything out of me to go and knock on her door and ask for help but I did. After we finished the assignment we starting talking about our lives, she started telling me about her boyfriend back home and how much she misses home. I was a little hesitant on opening up to her, and how much I told her at the beginning of the conversation. I did not want to spill too much about me to someone I really did not know. Once I felt comfortable I started talking back to her and the conversation started flowing, it became a normal thing for us to talk after classes and we began to support each other at our sport events and became roommates in an apartment off campus.

In chapter eight on the first couple of pages it introduces the idea of closeness through self-disclosure. In this chapter it kind of supports why I was the way I was and why people are so closed towards people they don’t know. On one page, Griffin et. al uses a character to help explain by saying, “Pete becomes accessible to others as he relaxes the tight boundaries that protect him and makes himself vulnerable,” (94). Towards the bottom of that page, Griffin et. al. he further explains, “if he admits these feelings, he’s opening himself up for some heavy-handed kidding or emotional blackmail,” (94). To end that section of the book, Griffin et. al. concludes with, “future privacy will be difficult. Realizing both of these factors, Pete may be extra cautious about exposing his true feelings,” (95).

While reading chapter eight I realized that this is a common reason why people do not open up to other people. It was definitlely my reasoning! In the first quotation I felt that emphasized when I finally got relaxed around Morgan (my roommate) I was okay with feeling vulnerable around her once we talked a little bit more! Moving on to quote #2 this is how I used to feel before I gain the confidence to knock on her door. I felt that if I told her anything, it would be all over the school and I could never trust her. I just didn’t feel the need to open up to someone I barely knew. Finally, the third quote caps it off with once I told her something she will obligated to know everything about me, or she would feel closer to me than I what I wanted her to feel like. Now I am happy I went the extra mile of knocking on her door because shes one of my best friends!

*SINGS* go best friend thats my best friend!!

Posted October 2, 2019 by didi in category Blogs