Be Holy Because I Am Holy

Throughout the text of Leviticus we repeatedly read statements such as “I am the Lord”, “I am the Lord your God”, “I the Lord am holy”, “I am the Lord who makes you holy”, and “I have set your apart from the nations to be my own”.  (specifically found in Leviticus 19-21)  Again and again we are reminded of God’s holiness and righteousness and read of his power displayed among the Israelite people.  To some the phrase, “I the Lord am holy”, can be intimidating or discouraging because we realize our depravity and the extent of sin in our lives in comparison to God’s greatness.  However, we should be encouraged by these references listed above for a couple of reasons.  1) We as Christians serve and worship a holy God who is omnipotent, omnipresent, omnibenevolent, and omniscient.  This should not intimidate us but rather encourage us.  We serve a God that is set apart and higher than any other god. 2) We read about God’s holiness but we also read about the Lord who makes us holy.  God sent his son Jesus Christ in order to pay the price for our sins.  By Jesus’ death and resurrection on the cross, we are able to become holy.  We are no longer bound by this sin and shame but rather washed to live in freedom and light.  Brothers and sisters, let’s be encouraged by these words in Leviticus and the truth that God has spoken to us.