Alumni Interviews — Cameron Boone (’04)

With each year that passes there are more and more BIC graduates doing great work all over the world. Each spring we publish brief “Alumni Updates” where our alumni can tell us some about their post-BIC lives. In addition to these annual updates, we post interviews with our alumni. Today we are excited to post an interview with Cameron Boone (’04). We hope you enjoy, and if you are interested in being interviewed for a future blog post, email us at BIC@baylor.edu.

What year did you graduate from Baylor? What did you study?

I graduated in December, 2004 with a B.A. in history.

What are you doing currently for work/career? What do you enjoy most about your work?

I am currently a Vice President with Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL) in Houston.  I work as a commercial real estate appraiser in Valuation and Advisory Services where I focus on primarily on eminent domain and litigation support.

I look at appraisal like solving a puzzle; it can be very satisfying when all the pieces finally match up.  I also enjoy testifying as an expert witness.

How has your BIC education influenced your life/career since leaving Baylor?

The BIC provided an integrated liberal arts education in a larger university setting – the best of both worlds!  I think my BIC education really shaped my view of the world.  It provided context for all types of thought – Christian, Western, Eastern, Modern, Postmodern, etc.

Do you have a favorite memory from your time in BIC?

I really enjoyed visiting a Hindu temple, synagogue and mosque.  The perspective you get from actually attending a worship service is so much different than something you may read in a book or online.

I also fondly remember listening to music with Dr. Long in his office.  We shared the same taste in composers and artists and would turn each other on to new discoveries.

Is there something you learned in BIC that still sticks with you today?

That the unexamined life is not worth living, of course!  I also learned that there is always another side to a story.  Instead of tuning out or immediately denigrating those who might think different than we do, we should do our best to first try and understand their perspective and worldview.

What are your goals for the future?

God has blessed me with a wonderful Baylor Bear wife and three precious children.  I want to work hard so that one day my kids will be able to have the same educational opportunities that I had.  My hope is that one day they will chose to follow Christ and leave a positive legacy in this world.

Is there anything else would you like to share?

I recall having some of my Baylor professors attend my wedding.  I think that speaks volumes about the caliber of faculty we have at Baylor and the relationships that can be formed.

This entry was posted in Alumni, Alumni Interviews. Bookmark the permalink.