No Place I’d Rather Be

By Cody Frohman

It’s that time of the semester – we’re way past the excitement of starting a new round of classes and the nervousness of taking our first tests of the semester. We’re close to the end of the semester, but too far to start celebrating. This is often the part of the semester that’s hardest for me – routines feel monotonous, my discipline level has gone way down and I’m tired of that one class I just can’t do well in. I’m ready for Thanksgiving to be here, finals to be over and for Christmas break to mark the beginning of new and exciting things all over again.

While in the middle of overwhelming myself with thoughts of the future, I was reminded of how valuable my time at Baylor has been. I am at one of the best universities in the world (arguably the best), and I’m spending part of it wanting time to go faster! So instead of focusing on all the things I don’t like about school right now, I decided to focus on the things that I love about Baylor. Here are three of the things I came up with.

1. The Tradition – Everyone has a favorite Baylor tradition, but everyone at Baylor could argue that we have the best traditions. From Line Camp, to Christmas on 5th Street, to Diadeloso and everything in between, these are things that are unique and integral to a Baylor experience.

2. The Campus – Baylor may not be on a cliff overlooking the ocean. In fact, it’s right by a major freeway with a lot of construction going on. However, I think it’s one of the most beautiful places in the world. There’s nothing like seeing the majesty of Pat Neff lit up green with the sprawling Texas sky behind, or looking over Founder’s Mall in the spring as it starts to warm up from the winter or driving on University Parks as you come up to campus and are welcomed by the grandeur of the Baylor Sciences Building.

Pic 1

3. The Location – Now, this may not be a popular opinion, but I am a strong supporter of the idea that Waco is a wonderland. Waco doesn’t always have a ton to do, but it has some great things to do – like getting breakfast from the farmer’s market on Saturdays, driving through Cameron Park, going to the waterfall or exotic pet store (it’s a thing, and it is super cool) in Woodway, or even just walking around downtown. Waco is a prime location, and it is only going to get better.

Pic 2

Yes, this is in Waco. You just have to look for it!

Baylor is always going to be a special place to me, and even though the days are sometimes long, the months and the semesters are flying by. I want to make sure that I make the most of it and appreciate and remember why I chose Baylor.