Let the Schedule Games Begin!

By Marisela Martin

Now that the semester is almost over, many of us have found ourselves overwhelmed with tests, projects, quizzes, essays and many other assignments! In addition to having to balance our time in an efficient way, it is also that time of the semester where every student on campus is scurrying to plan out the best possible class schedule for next semester. With the overwhelming amount of people trying to sign up for classes, it seems like anyone you talk to sees scheduling for classes as our own version of the Hunger Games!

Currently, I have drafted two preliminary class schedules, and with my registration time coming up soon, I’m probably going to have to draft another schedule the night before. Don’t get me wrong, signing up for classes is fun, especially because you get to choose what classes you want to take, select the professors you want and decide what times work best with your schedule. In high school, you were often assigned the classes you had to take, but once you’re in college you have this newfound freedom and you get to make the decision of what classes seem best for you. I love this new freedom, but there is a teeny-little problem… a lot of classes fill up quickly! Your scheduling time is determined by how many hours you have, so depending on your classification, you can either be lucky or luck out. Last year, I wasn’t able to take a class I wanted because it filled within minutes! That can be very discouraging. You find yourself yelling at your Internet connection, pulling your hair out and crossing your fingers! At least, that’s my personal experience.

But amidst the setbacks, I think it’s best to prepare for the worst, which in this case would be not getting the right classes at the right times. But don’t fret! Be organized, have your class registration numbers written, have many [many] backup plans and always check your Internet connection ahead of your scheduled time. If you stay calm and prepare for the worst, you’ll find you have the schedule that is best for you! So, wish me luck and until next time! Sic’ Em!