1 cup, 2 cups, 3 cups…

By Patara Williams

It was a tragic occurrence:

I was standing in a massive line to get the antidote when I began to see faces ahead of me become flustered with fear…”We’re all out!” Fear rushed through the crowd, voices were raised and eyes became glazed…“I’ll never make it!!” I heard one student say. I dropped my head and sulked away.

Espresso: the remedy to a late night and a long week; to put it more aptly, the cure to exams.

Three years ago, I could walk past Starbucks and not be tempted to get a fix. Today, it seems difficult to make it through a day without it. Lucky for me, Baylor has two Starbucks on the campus, and Common Grounds is only a short walk away…convenience!!!

So, you’re not a fan of coffee, eh? Welp! Say goodbye to those days!

On the other hand, you may never consume a drop of coffee while you’re in college, but then you’d be an outlier…a very rare occurrence. By the same token, you may become a café connoisseur and be able to recognize every single blend with a slight whiff.

Coffee helps me stay focused in the midst of studying and during in class lectures, but there are so many ways to stay alert during class and while studying:

• Chew gum or mints
  • Nom on pretzels (a little loud and distracting) or gummies
  • Get adequate sleep
  • Participate by engaging with the professor/class (not talking to your neighbor)
  • Shift positions or stand for a bit
  • Keep a healthy exercise regimen

Find your thing, and do it early, because I guarantee you that you’ll have those dozing days! But, the best part of waking up…

Sic ‘Em Coffee!