Victory Lap

By Avery Jackson

Senior year has finally come! I’m on what some people call a victory lap – this means that it took me five years instead of four to graduate. However, I am no less excited!

I spent my summer as a nomad in Valparaiso, Indiana, working for a non-profit called Kids Alive International. This summer, I wore many hats! I created online newsletters, used my graphic design skills, took photos, wrote and edited stories, made donor presentations and did many hours of research on corporate matching gifts. I did the vast majority of the impact reports on both the countries we serve in as well as our previous site projects and fundraising events. I loved every minute!

In addition to the 40 hours I spent in the office, I also thrived outside of it as well. I made friends and explored Chicago, Wyoming and even Florida. I also had some much-needed family time with my parents and three youngest siblings, rode horses and trains, swam in the great lakes and even managed to squeeze in some concerts.

However, during my three months of summer, I stayed in SEVEN different homes. I basically lived out of my suitcase. That was an adventure in itself!

I loved getting to spend time with my siblings!

Driving with my dad and my fearless feline, Jezber, back to Waco from Indiana was a relief. Baylor has really become my home. I began to feel excited and energized the closer I got to my art-filled apartment. After my fourth major internship, I now know that I have many of the skills I need to survive in the “real world.”