In a Word…

By Frances George

Statue of Liberty: Freedom

The Tower of Pisa: Leaning

Dietrich Bonheoffer: Fearless

The Crown Jewels: Priceless

Many things, people and places can be described in a single word. As I look back over this year and the amazing privilege of writing for Baylor Admissions, there are many words that come to mind as I think of Baylor and what the university has come to mean to not only our daughter, but our family.

So, how would I describe Baylor? What do I think of when I hear “Baylor”?

In a word: (or ten)

Joy

Maturity

Opportunity

Introspection

Broadening

Deepening

Fun!

Valuable

Spiritual

New

Comfortable

Laughter

Lovely

Warm….Hot!

As this semester draws to a close and our students gear up for finals, a summer job at a camp, studying abroad, a first internship or a first “real” job post graduation, there is an opportunity and a challenge to look back in order to move forward. To think that my daughter is halfway through this very exciting academic adventure is thrilling and sad all at the same time.

While Mary Scott was home for Easter, we recalled the great highlights of the year: moving into her first house with the girls off campus, “Welcome Week” where SHE did the welcoming, new Bible studies through her amazing church, seeing familiar classmates and “old” friends on the first day of class, Recruitment, SING, Spring Break on a whim in Florida, home for Easter and coffee with Mom, gathering advice on all things heart related and now preparing to study in Spain with Baylor friends this summer. In a word: Busy!

Over Easter break, my daughter sought our advice on an issue with which she had been wrestling. She listened, differently than she had in years past. She inquired more deeply than before. She was honest in a matter in which she could have responded without emotion. She wanted to “hear” from her mother and her dad and process our words. As Mary Scott and I went out for breakfast and ran a few errands prior to taking her to the airport to complete the final weeks of school, she leaned over and said, “Mom, thank you for your advice. I needed to hear that. I am grateful for what you said.” In a word: Maturity.

At the Easter lunch table, with grandparents all around, I asked our guests, “What is the great blessing you have gleaned over the past year of life?” One by one, everyone gave their answer. When it was Mary Scott’s turn, she shared how she has realized more fully what a unique and wonderful place Baylor is. She said that she sees it more clearly now that she’s been there for two years and can compare stories with her friends at other schools around the country. She said she realizes how fortunate she is to have friends from such similar backgrounds as her own, with families who love and support, challenge and encourage one another and who have mothers and fathers who understand “family”. She is grateful for faculty who are caring mentors not just academic instructors. This doesn’t exist on most campuses…nor is it treasured. In a word: Thankful.

So, in the end, if we can say we are thankful for what transpires at Baylor in our children’s lives (the great moments and the ones through which our children wrestle and come out on the other side wiser and more mature), then its value is real and rare.

In a word: Baylor.  The name says it all. And for our daughter, our family and countless others, that has made all the difference.

Now for summer! In a word: ENJOY! (and thanks for reading)