Time for Fresh Air

By Joe Bridgeman

Spring semester always seems busier than fall semester although I have no idea why. I sometimes find myself forced to live day-to-day, wading through oceans of homework and responsibilities, hoping to catch glimpse of a weekend off in the distance. There are times when this is necessary in college. There are also times when this needs to be balanced out with something relaxing.

Aware of this, I spent a weeknight this past week playing volleyball on campus with some friends to unwind. The temperature felt great, the area was well lit and there were plenty of people around. Baylor’s campus has a lot of outdoor space for all sorts of activity, and it’s pretty safe at night. Here are some of the main spots for outdoor sports activity:

The Russell Field, located in front of the South Russell dorm, sports a large soccer field with goal posts, a sand volleyball court, picnic tables and a grill.

Fountain Mall, located in front of Moody Library, is a huge patch of grass about a block long. It’s ideal for playing ultimate Frisbee!

Minglewood Bowl, located next to Brooks Residential College, is a popular spot. It sports a grill and a nice hill to sit on and watch whatever game is going on.  I’ve seen the Baylor Quidditch team practice here often!

The BSB Fields, located behind the Baylor Sciences Building, have A LOT of space. You can play soccer, football, rugby – you name it, there is room to play it. It also boasts a brilliant view of one of the most impressive buildings on campus, soccer goals, football field goals and even mini-bleachers.

The night of volleyball was a success. I got to release stress by smashing my volleyball serves into the faces of the other team and got to hang out with some friends in a setting that wasn’t the library. When the semester gets busy, you need to take time to occasionally relax. College, like all things in life, is a balancing act.  Too much leisure time can be just as harmful as too much time studying!