The Light at the End of the Tunnel

By Parmida Schahhosseini

Never have I been more excited to begin a new semester. It’s not because it’s my last semester of college, but because it’s a chance to start fresh. Last semester, as much as it pushed me, was overwhelming. I worked for more than 40 hours a week while taking 18 hours of class (most of them junior/senior level classes at that) in addition to serving in three leadership positions.

As I began applying for jobs and preparing for graduation, I realized that I needed to lighten my load and enjoy life. It’s not that I wasn’t enjoying life last semester; I just didn’t have time to take anything in. Everything felt rushed, and while it was exhilarating and pushed me to greater limits, I realized that I was too consumed in my work. I had teachers telling me to get a social life. Yes, it was that bad. I did quit one of my jobs (one of three) and while I miss it, I’ve felt more relieved than ever. I miss the job, but not the long hours.

However, through it all I became stronger. I’ve learned more about myself last semester than I had during my previous existence. Despite the circumstances, my GPA didn’t suffer, and I have great job interview material to work with. The point of this story is not to brag about myself, but to remind you all not to get discouraged during the tough stretches of college. Yes, it will be stressful and sometimes you may have to sacrifice things, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Remember that there is nothing that God puts before you that you and God cannot handle. Many people ask me how I survived last semester, and it all goes back to God. I will brag about God because He continues to test us to make us well-rounded individuals. While this semester may present challenges, I will always remember how I came out stronger after my previous challenge. These experiences happen to teach us more about life, ourselves and God.

This semester as I focus on the job hunt, there will be different things I have to deal with such as rejection or having to make choices between multiple offers (if that were to happen). It may require me to take a leap of faith and have faith that the Lord has great plans for me. While it’s exciting, it’s stressful because I don’t want to be unemployed, living with my parents. The thought of unemployment has crossed my mind, but I just to remember that God will deliver us. He only wants the best for us.

Unknown