A Message from a Baylor Parent

By Frances George

As I write this, I, like you, am preparing for the return of my Baylor student from the fall semester at school. It is with great joy that we parents anticipate the descending of our children back into the fold for a few weeks of refreshment, rest and great merriment during the climactic days of the holiday season. This year is no different than years past, except for one missing component in this year’s Christmas celebration in our home. Three weeks ago, my beloved mother passed from time to eternity after years of declining health and battle with dementia. Hers was a life supremely lived to the glory of God, and yet she will not be one of whom you read in the papers with worldwide renown or as the author of great literary works, except the “works of her hands” displayed in the lives of her three children, twelve grandchildren and two great grandchildren. She died after (as my daddy says to all he has seen recently) “64 years, two months and five days of joyful marriage to the love of his life.” Theirs was a love story that rivaled any you have seen on the big screen or in the reality of life.

As I prepared to write this blog, I scrolled through my journal, filled with not only my own personal thoughts but clippings from articles tucked away for further reading. As I thumbed through the pages over just the last few weeks, I reread the obituary of a great man who gave much time and significant financial gifts to ministries that advance the Kingdom around the globe. His was a life well lived with eternity in view. Now, he sees clearly. Next, I came across my own mother’s obituary, neatly cut out of the local paper, along with the program from her funeral. I read through the program and thanked the Lord for my mother and wiped away a tear as I thought of our first Christmas without her but smiled as I thought of the great Christmas she will enjoy with the King of Kings, face-to-face. Just this morning, I tucked a newly-clipped wedding announcement of my niece, married just this weekend, and it found its place among my wandering thoughts and writings of satin and lace. Suddenly, I knew that of which I would write. As I thought of these enormously emotional events in family’s life, I glanced back to the back cover of the program for Mother’s funeral. On it we chose to print Proverbs 31:10-31, as it was the Proverb my father often quotes as he references my mother’s character to others. There is a tiny verse tucked in the middle of the chapter, easy to brush over and yet one that characterizes my mother and in that moment as I read, characterizes my feelings regarding Baylor and how it continues to impact my daughter’s life.

“She senses her gain is good.”

Yes. My mother sensed her gain was good, as she watched her life unfold before her eyes, a most spectacular life, lived well. I sense it too, as I watch my daughter become a Godly young woman on the campus of Baylor, involved in many different aspects of campus and church life. I sense the blessing of the uniqueness of Baylor when Mother died the week before Thanksgiving, and professors were quick to comfort Mary Scott (How did they even know Mother was ill, I will never know). But, during the week leading up to her death, our daughter had emailed me, saying “Mother, it seems like the whole campus is praying for me. Friends and professors walk up to me, give me hugs, offer their concern and let me know they are praying for our family.” I was moved that our daughter, a lowly out-of-state student without Baylor parent legacy ties was so cared for by her university community.

I sense that my gain is good because of the goodness of Baylor.

I sense that my daughter’s gain is good, as well.

I reminded my daughter as we talked of Mother’s life and eternity that character is the only thing you take to eternity. Your legacy is the only thing you leave behind of any real worth. I challenged my daughter to consider the character she is developing at Baylor and live each day considering the legacy she will leave on the campus when she graduates.

These are the moments and conversations with my daughter that make me grateful beyond measure for Baylor University. My daughter, as I am sure your student, could have gone to most any top tier university in the country. She chose Baylor above all the others. And today and during this Christmas season, I sense more clearly and with more confirmation in my spirit that we are blessed and that she chose well.

I shall never read that little verse again in Proverbs without thinking of this season in 2013 where my mother, if she were here, would remind her granddaughter that these are the times of your life where your future is made. Live wisely, live with eternity in view and in time you will sense that your gain is good because you have chosen well.

Praying your Christmas is a blessed one.

Joy to the world, the Lord is come.

Grateful for our Baylor Nation.