Why Going Potluck is the Best

By Courtney Roberts

Right after I graduated high school, I remember worrying about what to do for housing. I was full of anticipation for what lay ahead of me as a college freshman, but I was worried that I would get a roommate that I wouldn’t get along with. I like to think I can make friends with almost anyone, but hey, you never know.

I was originally supposed to room with a girl from high school, but, in July, I found out she decided not to come to Baylor. I was without a roommate for about a week, and then I got a call from Baylor telling me the name of my new roommate: Kristen Click. Honestly, I spent the rest of the summer being sort of indifferent about it. When I thought about sharing a room with a total stranger, I shrugged it off and assumed it would end up for the best. Little did I know that it would end up better than I had hoped!

The best part of this story is that Kristen and I became best friends. I’ll admit that I was surprised that we took to each other as quickly as we did. On some levels, we were opposites, and on others, we were a lot alike. We made the same friends, went to an Antioch Community Church lifegroup together, stayed up late doing homework and did all kinds of shenanigans together.

One of my favorite memories from our freshmen year was the infamous Christmas party we hosted during finals. We’re proud of the fact that people still talk about this party. But, I guess if you invite 70 people to your dorm room, it would seem pretty ridiculous, too.

What I loved about getting a potluck roommate was that I didn’t just make a great friend; I met my best friend. And, it didn’t stop after our freshman year. We still spend a lot of time together, and we still have just as much fun as we did three years ago. I’m glad that we’ll be friends for the long haul, and that’s something people don’t expect from potluck roommates!