“The Fellas” (by Sophia Cooper)

My mom has a group of college friends known as “The Fellas.” I am on first-name basis with these guys (a big accomplishment in a household of “Mister” and “Missus”). I’ve grown up with their children, having play dates and goofing off at big family dinners. Looking at pictures of Mom with a 1970s perm, surrounded by these great nerdy guys, I wanted the same kind of college friendships. That’s when I realized it: the people I spend time with now will be my own group of “The Fellas” in 30 years.

I’ve known quite a few of my friends since Welcome Week. My friends Ryan, Sean, and I banded together to face Chapel and got lunch every Monday and Wednesday all of freshman year. Tannah and I have had multiple classes together every semester, becoming good friends and perfect study buddies. Kayla, Serge and I had every class together last spring and fall, and we decided to name ourselves “The Best Friends Club.” Lizzie, Erica and I were roommates on campus for two years, have classes together, and try to set aside time to get together just to chat and catch up. I spend a ridiculous amount of time with my current roommates Lydia, Stephanie, and Caroline, just laughing in our living room and making roomie dinner once a week. My boyfriend David and I have been friends since the beginning of freshman year, and he’s always the first person I turn to for everything.

These are just some of the people I hope to still be in touch with for the rest of my life. College is the time for late night study parties, too many hours in the lab, and so much laughter. My friendships from the past two and a half years have proved to be strong and true, helping me through many obstacles and celebrating many accomplishments. I am so excited to see what God has in store for my friends and myself as we work through our last year and a half together, and even more excited for what will come after graduation!

David and I

Lizzie and I

Tannah, Kalya, and I