Restaurants In London

London is a city of fashion, history, and cardboard food. I was warned before I came to London that the food was bad, but I did not actually expect it to be so bland! I mean seriously, the people here are against flavor.  I may be slightly more critical of the food since my taste buds have been accustomed to the lively flavors of Houston restaurants: Mexican! Italian! Greek! We have a plethora of restaurants and if there is a style of dish you want, there is a place that serves it.  If it’s a Friday night in Houston you are probably dining out; however, if you are planning a visit to London, do not be distraught. I have found a few places that will suffice your mouths’ need for flavor and your stomachs need for contentment.

For a trip to Europe, it is a must to go to the Pub. There are Pubs on every corner and they all serve the same food. For a cheap meal to fill space in your stomach I recommend any pub. Each pub has a selection of soups, salads, classic sandwiches, and of course the world famous fish and chips.  When exiting the tube station for Green Park, to the right there is a pub called Henry’s Bar Café. I recommend this pub’s burger. This is not a big juicy Texas burger, but it does come with a side of chips. While dining at Henry’s, the service was excellent and the ambiance impressed me. The waiter was attentive and helpful when I needed to rush and leave for a tour I had planned. The decorations were antique with dark wooden tables and black crowning along the walls; however, this décor is not unique to Henry’s. This is the look several other pubs display as well. Though I do loathe eating pub food, I recommend dining there for the experience at least once.  The convenience of a pub on every corner will make it tempting to settle for unsatisfactory meals, however there are two restaurants that are must eats in London!

Belgo Centraal in Covent Garden is one of my absolute favorite restaurants in London. Belgo is a Belgian restaurant that has a menu ranging from mussels to burgers. The entrance to Belgo feels as if you are walking into an old underground warehouse. The lighting is dim and the walls are made up of brick and aluminum. Once a table is available, the hostess leads the customer down stairs where the kitchen is completely visible down a long hallway. The seating is in an open room filled with large tables accompanied by benches and smaller tables with chairs. During my first dining experience at Belgo, I of course craved my dearest all-American burger. Let’s just say that next time I return I am bringing a cobalt blue ribbon with a number one on it, because this is the best burger in all of London. The bread is warm and soft, while the Angus beef is cooked just to the right texture of done and juicy. A waitress wearing a long black cloak brought out the meal on a wooden plank, which added to the Belgian atmosphere. I was saddened to part ways with this restaurant; however, the next week I did convince a group to come back and dine with me again! This time one friend ate mussels, and another rotisserie chicken. The savory chicken was drenched in juices, and though I do not eat mussels, my friend said they were just as great as her favorite mussels in America.

Restaurant number two that I recommend is called Wagamama. This Japanese chain is easy to spot anywhere from Covent Garden to High Street Kensington. I would compare Wagamama to a Pei Wei. The atmosphere is modern and sterile with its white walls and light wooden tables. My favorite part of the aesthetics of Wagamama is the giant windows overlooking Kensington High Street. During my last experience at Wagamama I ordered the Teriyaki chicken over noodles, a fruit smoothie, cinnamon breaded mini apple pies, and licorice mint tea for dessert. The feast at Wagamama was delightful. Not only were my taste buds dancing, but also the clean feeling of the restaurants enables you to sit back, relax, and enjoy conversations with friends.  My dish had a zesty taste, but was not too overwhelming; however, for those that do enjoy a spicier option, the menu is categorized into noodles, rice bowls, chickens, spicy dishes, and mild dishes.

Overall I continually wanted to revisit these two restaurants during the trip. They both delivered good service, an amiable atmosphere, and food that satisfied my need for flavor. These two restaurants are the redemption of food in the city that serves cardboard for meals. For any European adventurer I recommend popping your head into a pub or two, but it would be a regret not to dine at these two restaurants.

One thought on “Restaurants In London

1. chelseacates

I love your description of food in London as “cardboard.” It’s so true! I think you did a great job of describing some of your favorite places to eat in London, and I think it acts as a good set of dining recommendations for future London travelers. I wish I had been able to go to more of these places. Good job!

Reply