Higher Education & Student Affairs

For more information about Baylor's HESA

1

A Taste of Waco

Over the last year I’ve been really lucky to have so many friends and family come visit me in Waco. With every visitor, I’ve tried to put together a rough itinerary of places to go and places to eat. Here are some of the places that have made it on nearly every list. Enjoy!

Vitek’s

Vitek’s is one of the best BQQ places in Waco and its convenient location near campus and general ambience can’t be beat. I’ve never had anything I didn’t like from Vitek’s and every person I’ve taken there has loved the truly Texan BBQ. Although everything is good, you can never go wrong with a Gut Pack (their version of a Frito Pie) and a Dr Pepper.

Viteks

Location: 1600 Speight Avenue

George’s

I’ve intentionally taken every visitor to George’s simply because it is your quintessential Waco/Baylor watering hole. It’s been around since the 1930’s and the specialties keep customers coming back. Some new items were just added to the menu this summer but, like Vitek’s, the ambience is what makes George’s truly unique. Tip: if you’re going during busier hours, definitely make a reservation!

Georges

Location: 1925 Speight Avenue

Café Cappuccino

Voted Waco’s best brunch spot every year since 2006, Café Cappuccino has something for everyone in need of a hearty breakfast. Their menu is incredibly expansive for both breakfast and lunch but their breakfast items are what they’re known for. If you’re stuck between getting eggs or pancakes, go for the eggs because you get a pancake on the side for free with most of their dishes!

Katies

Location: 100 North 6th Street

*There are two other locations in Waco but the one downtown is my fave.

Katie’s Frozen Custard

There are lots of frozen yogurt places in town and Blue Bell ice cream is always in stock at HEB, but you can only find Katie’s Frozen Custard in Waco and it occupies the Waco frozen custard market for a reason. Katie’s Cyclones in particular are amazing! I especially can’t wait for their seasonal pumpkin pie Cyclone.

Katies Custard

Location: 602 Valley Mills Drive

There are A LOT of other noteworthy Waco restaurants but I wanted to include some fun activities to do while killing time in-between meals 😉 Here are some fun things to do in Waco!

The Baylor Marina

The Baylor Marina is the place to go if you’re looking for fun activities on the water. Baylor students can rent kayaks, canoes, stand-up paddleboards, and sailboats for free and visitor passes are only $5. The location of the marina also allows for amazing views of McLane Stadium from the water.

Marina

Location: 1512 University Parks Drive

Cameron Park

This park is the second largest city park in the country (Central Park in NYC currently holds the top spot) and there are tons of ways to utilize this great Waco treasure! There are lots of hiking, biking, and running trails. There are also numerous picnic spots, some great lookout points, and the Cameron Park Zoo!

Cameron Park

More information: http://www.waco-texas.com/cms-cameronpark/

Dr Pepper Museum

If it is just too hot outside, head downtown to explore the Dr Pepper Museum. This museum tells the story of Dr Pepper and its historic roots in Waco. I had no idea so much went into the history of Dr Pepper and the adjoined old-time soda shop is really cool!

DP Musuem

Location: 300 South 5th Street

Explore Campus!

There is so much to do and see on Baylor’s beautiful and historic campus! Walk around the Sub and grab a Dr Pepper Float if it’s Dr Pepper Hour. Check out the bears, our live mascots, in their habitat right next door. Head over to Pat Neff and walk down Founder’s Mall. Take a picture with the Judge Baylor statue. See a show in Waco Hall or the Hooper-Shaefer Fine Arts Center. There is seriously so much to do on this campus and friends and family will love seeing where you spend your time!

Baylor

These are my top 8 restaurants and activities to do with visitors however there’s plenty more I could include! Below are my honorable mentions:

Restaurants:

• Baris III
  • Olive Branch
  • Health Camp
  • Any of the Taqueria El Mexicano locations

Activities:

• Spice Village
  • Baylor events like All-University Events, Homecoming, Sing, etc.
  • Lake Waco

Blog post writer extraordinaire: Katie Styles

melissa_mclevain • February 19, 2015

Previous Post

Next Post

Comments

1. Anika February 19, 2015 - 3:29 pm Reply

Blog famous!