Baylor Mugshots: Elisabeth Lambert

Elisabeth's dog, Rocky
Elisabeth’s dog, Rocky

This week I met up with senior BIC-er Elisabeth Lambert to talk about her hopes, dreams, and her time here at Baylor.  We snagged a rickety little table crammed between a trash can and a wilting ficus, and I powered up my laptop, opening up my prepared questions.

Elisabeth turned on her own computer and sat with legs crossed, fingers woven together on the table.  “I made some notes to help me out,” she said, a true BIC student.

We jumped right into it.

“Is there a Baylor memory that sticks out in your mind more than any other?” I asked.

Elisabeth consulted her notes, and then said immediately, “The cookies and milk thing that they did during Line Camp, when we got back from the trip to Independence!  I don’t remember the song—which is probably a good thing, because it would be stuck in my head all the time—but I got free food, and I didn’t expect it.”

We reminisced over the cookies and agreed that any instance of free food would always rank pretty high on our list of most memorable experiences.

“You know they were giving out free groceries on Fountain Mall the other day?” I said.  Elisabeth nodded and leaned over the table to whisper excitedly that she’d gotten two dozen free eggs that day.

“I’m making omelets every morning,” she said.

We laughed, and then I asked my next question.  “What do you think of BIC?”

Elisabeth got that look on her face that every BIC-er feels in their souls by about the middle of their second semester—equal parts pride, confusion, excitement, and exhaustion.  “I’m glad I did it,” she said, after some thought.  “And I’d do it again—there’re lots of great professors in BIC.  I’ve definitely learned a lot.”

“What’s been your favorite class?” I asked.

“My favorite class was with Dr. Stacey Hibbs!” Elisabeth said.  “She’s so nice!”

I shared my own love for Dr. Hibbs, and then shamelessly advertised the Mug article that I had written about her last semester (which you can find here!).

Finally, at the end of our interview, I said, “Can you describe Baylor to me in three words?”

Elisabeth admitted that she didn’t have any notes for that particular question, so she had to think about it for a bit.

“‘Draining my finances,’” she said with so much accuracy that it hurt, “but I don’t think that’s what you’re really going for.”

(“You’re not writing that down, are you?” she asked.  “Everything gets written down,” I said ominously.)

After some more thought, she finally told me that she did not think that she could condense her entire Baylor experience down into just three words.  “It’s too much for that,” she said.  “I’m sorry!”

I assured her that it was fine, and that I had more than enough to write a stellar article.  Then I thanked her for her time and set about transcribing our conversation into another literary masterpiece while Elisabeth bought herself a Frappuccino.

Chelsea Teague is a junior majoring in Professional Writing and Rhetoric 

One thought on “Baylor Mugshots: Elisabeth Lambert