Amanda Reflects on Her 5 Years at Baylor

This blog post was written by Collection Services Archivist Amanda Fisher.

My first five years as a Baylor employee have gone quickly and have been memorable. My start in the Baylor community began seven years ago with a master’s degree in History. That special time afforded me an introduction to archives through Dr. Julie Holcomb’s Archives and Museums course, along with an assistantship at The Texas Collection where I learned to process collections.

Amanda, Rep. Chet Edwards, and Erik Swanson at the opening of the Chet Edwards Congressional papers.

After two years as a graduate student, I began working as an archivist at the W. R. Poage Legislative Library. My first assignment involved processing the state legislative papers of Representative Chet Edwards. This was the first collection I processed that was larger than sixty boxes, and it seemed at the time that I would never complete it. After ferrying boxes back and forth from my desk on the mezzanine to the stacks, one year later, I finished all 224 boxes and composed the finding aid. Time is funny; something that seemed to take so long now seems so long ago. This was also the first collection I processed in which I had the pleasure of meeting the creator, and I’ve enjoyed getting to know Edwards through his four visits to campus each year.

Amanda and her husband Paul celebrate Baylor’s win over TCU, Fall 2019. Sic ’em Fishers!

I have many fond memories of working at Poage Library from my first five years. The first large event I attended at the library involved the opening of the Edwards congressional papers, complete with chamber orchestra, Texas-shaped cookies, a well-planned program, and a full house. I also remember attending my first Standing Committee luncheon at McLane stadium in the pouring rain. Another one of my favorite traditions each year is passing around cards to sign for donors at our annual Christmas party with our students. I also remember meeting weekly with my colleagues to study for the Certified Archivist exam – which we successfully passed on the first attempt. In addition to processing the Chet Edwards State Legislative papers, I have also had the privilege of processing the Jim Dunnam State Legislative papers, the Ed Nichols papers, and have spent the past three years processing the Jack Hightower papers.

Amanda and her colleagues under Director Mary Goolsby, Poage Library, Spring 2019.

I also appreciate experiences afforded by being a member of the Baylor community in general, including attendance at sporting events, lectures, Homecoming traditions, and participation on Staff Council. I have also had the great fortune to work with and under Mary Goolsby, the current director of Poage Library. Mary has introduced me to many members of the Baylor community, encouraged professional development and personal growth, values the input of her team members, and fosters a fun and healthy work environment. It’s because of leaders like Mary that make Baylor a great place to work. I hope to continue to apply my skills to the benefit of the Baylor Libraries for many years to come. It has been a great first five years. Thanks Baylor!