On pockets

I fill my pockets every morning with a strange assortment of objects, devices, and things, for lack of a better word. Every day the wallet goes in the right front pants pocket. Keys in the left. Front shirt pocket takes the Ipod and the phone (I like to keep these devices separate for a couple of personal reasons which are totally irrational). I also clip two fountain pens in with the electronics. I don’t use my back pockets at all, unless it might be a small portable package of tissues, especially if I have a runny nose that day. Change will go in with the wallet. On a cold day, pockets will keep your hands warm. Women don’t have pockets, but they do have purses. When I am in Europe, I still use my pockets for my wallet and passport and keys, but I do find it useful to carry a shoulder satchel, a man purse, a murse. I love digging in the pockets of jackets that have been in the closet for several months. You never know what surprises you might have left in it the last time you wore it. I do not like or eat hot pockets of any kind. My travel backpack has lots of pockets, which is very useful for carrying cameras, cellphones, mp3 players, computers, books, notebooks, spare change of underwear, chocolate (not together–in different pockets), emergency food, flashlight, keys, pens, umbrella, gps device. I like polo shirts that have a front pocket, especially if I am traveling overseas and need to carry my passport. That front pocket is also good for an assortment of sun and reading glasses. Fanny packs, which are a kind of strap-on pocket, seem both awkward and weird. I often leave things in my pockets when they go into the wash: random cough drops, used tissues, pens and pencils, change. I don’t like to walk long distances with lots of stuff in my pants pockets. I have “lost” things by leaving them in a jacket pocket and forgetting about them. Pocket books will not fit in the pocket of my jeans, but they will fit the pocket of my khakis. I love the little extra pocket on my jeans because my Swiss Army Knife will fit there rather nicely. The trouble with pockets? When they have a hole. Favorite pocket quote: “Is that a rabbit in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?”