Halfway Done with Summer Session I

I, along with 22 other graduate students, have been taking the Business Foundation I summer course for those in the MBA program who do not have a business background. I graduated with a degree in Nutritional Science so I am a prime candidate for this series of classes. Having been only exposed to mostly science courses, I felt out of my comfort zone the first few weeks of summer school. Am I supposed to debit or credit the payment I made on the loan I took out for a car I purchased three years ago that has a depreciation rate of 12% a year? My final in Accounting is next Friday so I’ll have to get back to you on that.

I have really enjoyed my time at Baylor and have found multiple reasons reaffirming my decision to get my MBA in Healthcare Administration at this school. Below are a few:

• The faculty at Baylor are amazing. Maybe because I did my undergrad degree at the University of Texas in Austin (hook ’em!), but I never had a personal relationship with any of my professors or administrators.  You were just another fish in a very large pond.  My experience at Baylor so far has proven to be different. The staff seem personable and accessible, and just overall genuinely good people. I have a Graduate Assistant assignment with a professor in the Finance Department and half of our meetings are spent sharing family stories. Although his wife says he tells a lot of stories as he’s gotten older so that just might be it. Regardless, Baylor has a great, close-knit, community feel and it’s faculty members play a large role in that.
  • The MBA Healthcare Administration Program here is impressive. Obviously, there was a reason why I applied for this particular program. In addition to the MBA Healthcare program being highly ranked, CAHME accredited, and having a unique required residency component, we get an email the second week of summer class informing us that it was admitted to the Business School Alliance for Health Management. There are only 17 schools in this alliance, including Harvard Business School, Kellogg School of Management, and Wharton School of Business. I don’t know much beyond that but it’s good enough for me.

As you get older, you really do realize that it’s the small things in life that matter. Today, after three weeks of not doing laundry, my apartment complex finally installed my promised washer and dryer combo in the apartment. I’m doing laundry as I write this blog and I couldn’t be happier.

One thought on “Halfway Done with Summer Session I