Leadership Reflection #1

Is being a good leader a trait that you are born with or a skill that you developed? My opinion is that it is a merging of the two. You can be born with traits that the greatest leaders have like intelligence or sociability or natural determination but at the same time you can develop skills that are needed like emotional stability and self-confidence. For example, I’m not very confident in my communication skills but if I wanted to improve that all I would have to do is force myself to get comfortable with it. I do agree that the greatest leaders have the “Major Leadership Traits” of intelligence, self-confidence, determination, integrity, and sociability but I believe that you do not have to be born with these but instead can develop and improve them through learning and training. I will also agree with the “Three-Skill Approach” with technical, human and conceptual skill and how those vary depending on the environment you are in. For example if you are the CEO of a business you may not have to have the technical skills but if you do not have the conceptual skills then your business may suffer losses and missed goals. I also agree that your own individual attributes and competences are important qualities for leaders to have. All of this helps me believe what Leadership is all about. The leadership role is not the person who is in charge and makes the decisions, it is the person that has some of the leadership traits and can get people to follow him/her and can lead these followers to complete a goal or task that is ahead of them. Leadership can come from anybody but those people must have intelligence (not just about the subject but emotional and social intelligence), confidence in themselves, determination to do the task, integrity, and the ability to communicate to people.