Personal Leadership Philosophy

Personal Leadership Philosophy Design

export

Stereotypes Surrounding Leadership:

A biological father and son are in a serious car accident. When emergency crews arrive at the scene, the father is pronounced dead and the son is rushed to an emergency room. An ER doctor determines that the young man needs immediate surgery. A surgical team is assembled and ready but upon entering the operating room, the surgeon abruptly exclaims, “I cannot operate on this boy, he is my son!” Statistically speaking, who is the surgeon most likely to be?

A. The Step-Father

B. A Gay Father

C. A Man With a Similar Looking Son

D. Other

Keep your answer in mind, it will be revealed at a later time in this artifact.

The typical identity that comes to mind when a person thinks about a leader is a strong-willed, intelligent, hard-working man. In the world today, women are not held to the same standard as men and the gender gap is still harrowing, however, it is improving. Typically, women tend to have a different type of leadership style than men do, which can be seen in a negative light because it is not the norm in society today. Women tend to be more assertive and directive which give them the title of “bossy” or worse.

Currently, I am in a Global Health class with Professor Alan Schultz, we have recently discussed gender inequality here in America and in other nations around the world. The riddle that I began the artifact off with was one that he offered to my class as a quiz one day. The correct answer to the riddle is D; the surgeon is the boy’s mother. Over three-fourths of my class got this question incorrect. Mr. Schultz’s reasoning behind our incorrect answer was implicit bias. In today’s world, only 19% of surgeons are women. It blew my mind that I was one of the people that answered this question incorrectly because I am a woman! This example does not directly correlate to the topic of leadership, but it helped me realize just how overlooked the issue is. We may not realize it, but these biases are engrained in our brains without us knowing it. Society has placed norms upon its members that are going to be hard to break.

Now is the time we need to fight back. The movement to end gender inequality and stick up for female leaders needs to keep pushing and gain more ground. All of God’s people deserve to be treated as equals, and its time that we start living that way.

Correlation of Leadership Philosophy to Personal Values, Integrity, and Ethics:

screen-shot-2016-11-07-at-8-10-08-pm

Personal Leadership Philosophy TED-Talks:

Heads up! The concluding sentence to my video got cut off, and didn’t realize it until after I published it! Do not be alarmed! (: