Happy Things

To the best of my ability, I try to lead my life as a happy one. Despite this, every once in awhile I have a bad day.  I’m stressed out about school, I haven’t gotten enough sleep, or I just seem to be down on luck. Aside from my family and friends (and photos of them), who always make my days better, there are just some things that make me intrinsically happy. Looking at them can cheer me up and put me in a better mood (and help me get through graduate school!). Some are sentimental, others are simply reminders of things that I love. So what are my happy things? In no particular order:

1) Biology Art. Yes, those are watercolor paintings of viruses and an EKG. Why do they make me happy? They’re reminders of my love of biology and help to remind me of my love of learning and exploring.

Viruses

EKG

2) Stamps. Growing up my Dad would collect stamps for my Brother and I. We both have a large stack of stamp sheets. My full collection is currently in Ohio, but I recently added to my collection with a Harry Potter stamp set. It. Is. Awesome. Next on my list are two sheets of Disney stamps  (Dad: hint, hint!). Not only is my stamp set very sentimental for me, but the large variety is fun to look through.**Note: While writing this it occurred to me how neat it would be if a Doctor Who stamp set had been released. I don’t have any Royal Mail stamp sets, but I think it should be included in my collection…because well…it is incredible! ( http://shop.royalmail.com/doctor-who/doctor-who-presentation-pack/invt/who00006)

HP

HP2

3. Mugs and Lattes. I love mugs and chai lattes. I especially like them together. I don’t have enough mugs. I’m tempted to get rid of all of my mugs that match my plate/bowl set so that I can have a large collection of kitschy mugs. Let’s be honest here, why would you drink from a plain mug, when you can drink from a fun and mood altering one! My current mug of choice is a darling Hallmark mug adorned with the Disney quote “Who says you have to grow up?”. In other words it’s a reminder that, if all else fails, I can acquire Peter Pan syndrome. (But really it’s a reminder to not work my life away!)

Mug

4. Greeting cards. I have saved the vast majority of cards I have received during my life. As a kid my Mom tried to get me to be selective about which I saved, but in true Sigler hoarding fashion, I saved almost all of them. (Fortunately my Mom’s encouragement to clean and not save everything has paid off elsewhere…thanks Mom!). Greeting cards appeal to me for several reasons. For one, they are incredibly sentimental. I have cards from Grandparents who are no longer here today and I cherish being able to see their handwriting and their birthday wishes to me. Secondly, I am a sucker for cutesy things (like mugs), and the vast variety of cards that are available makes me happier than it should.

Cards

5. Candles. I have recently begun collecting (hoarding?) candles. I love them. They help me to relax and help me get through long study sessions and nights of homework. My collection largely consists of Bath and Body Works candles. I have enough candles for several years now…but I don’t suspect that will stop me from buying new scents in the future (note: it probably should though!). One candle I love is The Sunshine State candle. It reminds me a lot of living in Florida and helps me to pretend I’m on vacation!

Candle

6. Camp things. During college I volunteered at Camp Boggy Creek. The camp serves Florida’s seriously ill children. My time at camp has had a profound impact on my life and has truly made me a better person. The memories and stories that I have taken away from camp are those that help to motivate me and inspire me moving forward. As a result, some of the little things that I have kept from camp are deeply meaningful to me. For example, I have a bracelet a camper made me from the first time I volunteered at camp. That week impacted me more than I could have ever imagined. I also have a yarn necklace. The ball is made up off shortened yarn threads that can be pulled out. When someone (anyone!) at camp did something nice or thoughtful, you took a thread out and tied it around his or her necklace.  I certainly hope to go back in the future!

Camp

Erin

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.