“School’s Out For [Four Days]”

“School’s Out For [Four Days]”

The summer is winding down to an end, which means the business foundations courses are almost over. There were a few tough weeks in there *cough* all of them *cough*, but only one person ended up pulling their hair out. Excelling is all about the power of the cohort. Most MBA programs I hear about are competitive, cut-throat, types of programs. At Baylor, it’s a more cooperative type of schooling. Everybody has their own strengths and weaknesses, the key is to utilize the right people, and in the right way. Just like a great leader, each person must evaluate how they can contribute to the group in the best way possible. There are, of course, tests where everybody needs to have a certain level of knowledge to get by, but the diverse educational background of students keeps the cohort, as a whole, better in all areas.

Collaboration is also a key part of the educational experience. As future MBAs, it will be necessary to collaborate on projects. Whether it’s trying to figure out a homework problem or improving the program itself, there is no escaping working together, if you would even want to. For example, last week the current MBA students gathered in a conference room to discuss improvements to the recruiting system. Anything we thought could be improved, to make the process better for the prospective students, was discussed openly. Even with faculty in the room, it had a pleasant, inviting atmosphere. Ideas were definitely shot down, showing there was no lack of ruthlessness, but it was always done in a respectful way.

Something else I’ve noticed this summer are the open lines of communication. If there is any problem, during business hours, I can get it solved in less than fifteen minutes. I could either walk into somebody’s office and get directed to who to talk to or send an email and get an almost weirdly fast response. Just yesterday, I went to sign up for a class and was told I needed instructor approval. An email got it solved and me signed up in less than five minutes. A few days before that, we were out of coffee (the horror). One email fixed that. I know I am being spoiled, in comparison to problems being solved in a business, but I believe it’s showing me just how important open communication is in the work place, with anybody from employees to customers.

I didn’t start writing with the intention of having some catchy phrase for the summer, but, if the words are there, I’m going to play with them. Some C’s to summarize a standard summer of school studying: Cooperation, collaboration, and communication. I feel like those lessons, along with the actual material I learned in the classes, are a good start for the program. Especially considering I haven’t even started orientation. Orientation starts in three weeks and I’m sure I’ll have an entire post over just that subject.