Live OCI Q/A: February 21st, 2017 at 5:30pm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Hare
    Keymaster

We’ll answer all of your pressing OCI questions right here beginning at 5:30pm Tuesday, February 21st.

Daniel Hare
    Keymaster

Okay who has questions?!

jack_hurd

What advice would you give someone whose transcript is the weakest aspect of their resume?

Daniel Hare
    Keymaster

Hey Jack! Is there an OCI angle to your question? If so let me know. If not I’ll email you separately so we can keep this OCI focused.

jack_hurd

My apologies, Daniel. I was under the mistaken impression that this was open to any career-related questions. I have edited my question. Thanks.

Good evening Daniel,

Where should I go for my OCI? is there a check-in process?

Chase, you should check in with me or Daniel in the CDO 5-10 minutes before each interview.

Daniel Hare
    Keymaster

Hi Chase! In addition to what Angela said, we will send you back to your interview room when it is time.

**Obviously Angela and I are not in the same location!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Daniel Hare.

In addition to my resume, what should I bring copies of?

jack_hurd

You may have seen this story wherein Rutgers students were turned away from career fair for wearing light grey or blue suits.

http://www.dailytargum.com/article/2017/02/rutgers-business-school-turns-students-away-from-career-fair-for-wearing-light-grey-blue-suits

What kind of suit is appropriate for an OCI?

How typical is it for employers to discuss the “nuts and bolts” of the summer associate positions in these interviews? For example, will they discuss how many associates they will be hiring, what the pay will be, work schedule, etc. What, if any of this, should we inquire about?

You might consider bringing a copy of your transcript and writing sample, but it is appropriate to follow up with copies if an employer requests those documents. I would bring the “padfolio” you received when admitted to Baylor Law to write notes as needed. You can leave phones, purses, bags, etc. in the CDO.

Daniel Hare
    Keymaster

Jack,

First is to recognize that if they selected you for an interview, they see something there that makes them think you can do the work. In other words, you’ve passed an initial test! Interviews are generally about interaction, communication and fit, so keep your focus on that and less about your academics.

Jack, it is safest to wear a dark suit. Navy or charcoal is appropriate. Women can wear a black suit. Black suits for men are safest for a formal event. No bold or red ties. See the “This Week in the CDO” email we sent this morning. It included some tips on dressing for your interview.

Daniel Hare
    Keymaster

Carrie,

This might surprise you, but I would try not to focus on any of that! You have 20 or 30 precious minutes to communicate to the employer that you are prepared, interested and a great fit with the employer. Time spent on anything else is not in furtherance of that goal. So do what you can to save all of those questions for after the interview (i.e. by email), if at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Live OCI Q/A: February 21st, 2017 at 5:30pm’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar