From Paris with Love

Last weekend, I traveled with a group to the one and only Paris, France. The trip was organized by Millennium Tours, so we were fortunate to have stress-free arrival and departure experiences in France. Our hotel was very nice and right by the Eiffel Tower. The first night, the whole group went up to the second level of the tower and took tons and tons of pictures, of course. The view from way up there was incredible; we could see the entire city! You can scroll through Google images of the view all day long, but you will never understand the beauty of it until you see it for yourself. As I stood there, I couldn’t believe I was actually in Paris on the Eiffel Tower enjoying one of the most spectacular views I’ve ever seen. The whole weekend was just surreal!

One of my favorite parts of the trip was sitting on the grass in front of the tower, hanging out and drinking French wine with awesome people. We enjoyed it so much Thursday night that we went back to that spot all three nights we were in Paris. During the days, we spent our time exploring. Of course, I just had to shop at cute little boutiques and street markets in the quieter corners of the city where I made some wonderful Parisian purchases. We also made sure to hit all the famous spots: The Louvre, Notre Dame Cathedral, St. Chappelle, Versailles, and the Arc de Triomphe. I can now say that I have seen the REAL Mona Lisa is REAL life! Looking back on my experience of seeing the most famous painting in the world, I realized I hadn’t ever given the meaning of it much thought. At the time, I thought to myself, “Well, I can check that off the bucket list now.” However, my mom emailed me after returning to London and expressed her fascination with the piece, which provoked a curiosity in me as well. My mother’s words, so eloquently written, were a string of ponderings: of the inner sense of peace that seems to capture Mona; of love and romance; and of excitement and the future. The painting is undoubtedly mysterious. It’s as if she is keeping a secret. However, I don’t think it’s a universal secret; I think it is a mystery each individual must discover for themselves. I believe that art is meant to delve deep into souls and illuminate emotions unique to every person on the planet. In thinking of it this way, I now see the beauty in the Mona Lisa rather than just the price tag. At my age, it’s easy to take things for granted and get caught up in shallow thought, but thanks to my mother’s wisdom and creative thinking, I now I have a better understanding of art and of life.

Of all the amazing things I experienced while in France, by far the most memorable was the Fat Tire Bike Tour we took with basically the entire Baylor group. We rented bikes and were led throughout the wonderful city of Paris for about four hours. Don’t worry we took breaks from biking! The first stop we made was on one of the many bridges over the Seine River. We got ice cream from a little stand on the street, and it was the best ice cream I have ever tasted! It is homemade fresh daily with no artificial flavoring or preservatives and is made only on that specific island in France. While enjoying my chocolate ice cream with oranges, I experienced the perfect Paris moment: a couple dressed in evening attire dancing in the street to authentic French music with a bottle of wine on the curb next to them. When I’ve imagined Paris, there has always been a soundtrack in my head of how it would sound, and I was thrilled that my imaginings were in fact true! It was as if it were a scene in a romance movie, but a million times better. I wish I could say that that particular moment was true for all of Paris, but that would only be wishful thinking. Paris is no doubt dirty and full of sketchy people, but nonetheless, I still found it lovely.

As the tour continued, we rode all over the city observing our environment in a more creative fashion. My hair was blowing in the Paris wind, and I felt free and so alive. Experiencing the city in only two days is tough and can easily end up being a rushed experience trying to hit all the popular tourist attractions. Given the short length of the trip, I took the time on my bike to really take-in the city of Paris. I noticed various street performers, artists painting, groups of friends eating and drinking together under the Paris moon, and it was perfect.

At the end of our journey, we reached the dock where we boarded a boat to cruise the Seine River. The view of Paris at night from the water is definitely the best way to see the city. It is absolutely gorgeous! Our bike tour came with complimentary wine as well, so the night couldn’t have gotten much better. We were enjoying a glass of the most delicious French wine on a riverboat in Paris; is this really my life?!  As the lights from the bridges glowed, I stared at the Eiffel Tower in the distance and noticed the moonlight bouncing off the river. I wanted that moment to last forever. Although we can go on river cruises back home with stunning views and good company, there was just something about this one. Just being in Paris made the views brighter, the wine sweeter, and the night wilder.

This weekend in Paris was all about the little things. Sure, there are the big, must-do things in Paris such as visiting the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame, but I discovered that the real magic of the city is not in the typical tourist attractions. Rather, the magic of Paris is in the hearts of the people dancing alongside the Seine, living their lives carefree; it is in the aroma of a delicious cup of French coffee sitting outside a café; it is the city lights gleaming on a cool night; it is a freeing state of mind. I found myself feeling very rushed at times, and had to remind myself that sometimes it’s ok to slow down, miss out on some of the touristy things, and just enjoy being in the city of love. I found it easiest to slow my pace during the evenings. Things cooled off, and I allowed myself to simply enjoy the company of my peers in the enchantment of Paris.

If I have ever felt as though I’ve lived life to the fullest, I felt it even more so in Paris. I felt wild and free. I was spontaneous and a little bit crazy, but in my book, that’s exactly how it should be. I’ve always considered myself a free spirit, and in Paris that spirit only shined brighter. I’ve learned that life doesn’t slow down for anybody, so I say be crazy, be wild, be over-the-top because you might never have the chance again. To me, Paris is a state of mind; it is freeing; it is inspiring; it is my mom. She has always dreamed of Paris in all its beauty and sacrificed to allow me to experience it first. I am forever grateful for my mother’s beautiful mind and full heart; and as we ponder our lives and the meaning behind the famous de Vinci painting, I too smile that Mona Lisa smile of secret. Au revoir Paris! ‘til we meet again (next time with mom).