A Mother’s Wisdom

wa-photoLucille Beatrice Abercrombie was my mother. She was born and raised in Matagorda, Texas, the youngest of six children. Mom passed away nearly 20 years ago at the age of 86, but rarely a day goes by that I don’t think about her. My mother was a college graduate and a military veteran who successfully balanced the roles of being a supportive wife to my father and a loving mother who raised me and my four older siblings. For 32 years, she worked full-time as a registered nurse at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Waco.  She was a member of the church choir and she taught Sunday School.  Forgive me for the obvious bias, but my mom was an amazing woman. 

Like most men who were raised by amazing mothers, I am eternally grateful for her tremendous influence on my life. As I reflect upon the many valuable lessons she taught me, I would like to share with you a memory of my mother that has helped me grapple with the realities of Baylor’s current troubles.

During my rookie season with the Pittsburgh Steelers, I had become frustrated with my role in the offense. During the practices and in games, I was getting few carries and more assignments to block. It was a difficult transition for me mentally. After all, I was the team’s first selection in the NFL draft earlier that year. Having been the featured ball carrier in run-oriented, veer offenses in high school and at Baylor, I fully expected the Steelers to utilize my talents in that way.  But I found myself in an offense that was designed to feature another running back on the team, a really great one. His name was Franco Harris.

Franco had led the Steelers to eight consecutive post-season playoff appearances and four Super Bowl victories. He had earned the right and privilege to be the featured running back in our offense and the coaches made that clear to me. Unfortunately, as a 22-year old rookie full of ego and ambition, I had not yet reached the level of maturity to fully understand and appreciate that reality.  

Late one night, I made a phone call to my mother to discuss my frustration.  I vented to her about everything I didn’t like, from the lack of playing time to the cold Pittsburgh weather. I even complained about the absence of a decent BBQ restaurant.  For nearly an hour, she quietly listened to my feelings. Mom had a laser-like focus and the uncanny ability to zero in on underlying problems. Finally she said, “Walter, it appears you have little control over the decisions that have been made about your role in the offense. In times like these,” she continued, “I encourage you to turn to God and pray the simple Prayer of Serenity.” That night, I followed her wise instruction and offered the following prayer to our Savior:

“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.”

At that very moment, I turned everything over to Him. Immediately, I felt the stress and frustration leave me. I started the next day with a new attitude. Not only did I accept my role in our offense, I embraced it. In doing so, my attitude improved as did my work habits at practice and mental preparation for our games. As a result, the coaches took notice, and it wasn’t long before things began to change giving me opportunities I always wanted.  I was fortunate to enjoy six seasons in that city of champions.

Accepting what we don’t like may be one of the most challenging aspects of life. Hey, I’m all for taking action and changing what we can, but inevitably there will be people, situations, and events we don’t like and that we aren’t able to change.  While those experiences may be quite difficult for us, they can end up being the most fundamental part of our personal and spiritual growth. Thank you, mom.

Sic ’em!

Walter Abercrombie
Executive Director, Baylor “B” Association

19 thoughts on “A Mother’s Wisdom

1. Amen, Walter, thanks
    May all of us read and head.
    Thanks for all you and your staff do.

Dub Howard

1. Dub, thanks for reading our blog and for your kind comments. Hoping for a W tomorrow vs. TCU. Sic ’em! – WA

2. Your mother’s influence, under our Lord and Savior’s direction in her life and yours is all over you Walter Abercrombie. It was a pleasure to serve with you on the B Association Board and I pray God will continue to bless you as an example to others.
    Love you man.

Jim Daniel

1. Jim, thanks for your feedback. Yes, mom is still blessing me nearly 20 years after her passing. I guess that’s an example of how powerful and long-lasting our influence can be on others. Thank you for your friendship through the years. – Walter

3. Walter:

Thanks a bunch for the message…too easy these days to get caught up in this crazy world and forget to just stop…and listen…and to be thankful in all things. Our blessings are too many to be counted and for that we should remain thankful. You’re the man.

Fletch

4. Thank you for sharing Walter, that message was deep and I hope it resonates throughout Baylor Nation.

Sic’Em

1. Brandell, we’ll get beyond this. Hang in there young brother. Sic ’em.

5. Walter, As always your words are clear and contain a message for all of us to learn from. Everyone has been in that space more times that they may admit and if you use your mom’s advise it can calm the heart so your mind can listen and think clearly. Basically allowing God to speak into your mind and heart to make the most of any situation. I have found my biggest mistakes happen when I am the most frustrated so this message is advice for the ages.

Great lesson!

Troy Cooper

6. Walter, you have reminded us all that we truly control our own direction with a strong forward attitude. Baylor nation is full of good and positive people who know that to be true and when the smoke clears we will still be BAYLOR and all the wonderful things that make us so much more than the current situation, will continue to be a beacon of light and hope to all who are touched by our incredible university.
    Bill Duncan

1. Bill, your love for our alma mater is obvious. Thank you for your support of the “B” Association and all you do for BU. Now let’s get those Horn Frogs!

7. That is a simple yet profound truth, Walter. I will pray accordingly, and hope for the commitment and faith that your mother possessed. You have shown wisdom and strength in communicating perspective to all of us who as letter winners, are bonded to the University, and it’s struggles. May God sustain you and your team for His glory and purposes!

Cody Carlson

1. Cody, thank you of your support and prayers. We’ll get through this as we have in the past. Bless you brother. – WA

8. Walter,

I enjoy reading your monthly updates. Thank you for sharing this story and message.

Sic ’em!

Dave Musser

9. Amazing how your mother’s words are so fitting to present Baylor Football situation.

For emphasis on recruiting and your heritage, obvious we need to come up with more Preacher’s Kids to improve our program!