Leaving A Legacy

The biggest surprise for me this year was being a part of the MBA case competition team. It was unexpected because even though I was intrigued by the concept I had no idea how influential it would be for my overall learning experience. Winning the Big 12 also probably had a lot to do with it too!

Each of our core classes focuses on a particular subject and provides an in depth review of the topics that are relevant to the course. Case competition or as we hope to call it going forward, “Consultation and Strategy Intuition”, bring all of those topics together in order to find a solution. It may sound like common sense at first but with the help of a great professor like Dr. Waldron we are able to understand the process it takes to create structurally sound ideas. It’s one thing to provide recommendations to a company based on external factors but another to focus on their core competencies in an effort to communicate the company’s value proposition to consumers. There are no lectures, no test, and no real homework. Sounds like a class to blow off but as Dr. Waldron will say, “it’s the hardest and easiest thing you’ve ever done.” That and asking you to explain yourself for 3 straight hours just might prove to be a significant challenge. Through the frustration and gratification that comes with this process I have found one of the most fulfilling academic experiences during my time here.

As I’ve written countless times, there are many aspects of the Baylor MBA program that have been extremely valuable and rewarding. However, there are a few that stand above and the case competition team was one of them.