Alpha Chi Omega

Alpha Chi Omega is a Panhellenic organization that provides lifelong membership and supports philanthropy, service, and healthy relationships. Our philanthropic focus is spreading awareness of domestic violence, something that I have experienced during my childhood and in past relationships. Because of this personal connection, it is very important to me that I help others that have experienced abuse. As a member of the Baylor University chapter, I volunteer at the local family abuse center, donating food and other necessities every other week. Furthermore, I help with outreach programs that teach the importance of healthy relationships and promote domestic violence awareness.

As a girl who never had a lot of girl friends in high school, joining a sorority was on the very bottom of the “college to-do list.” If you’ve read my blog on Quiet by Susan Cain, it’s easy to see how I would find swarms of girls screaming, crying, laughing, and dancing together a little overwhelming. Despite my anxiety, I wanted very much to be a part of Greek life at Baylor University. A friend and I who had both put off rushing freshman year both made a deal to go through recruitment sophomore year. Through a series of unfortunate events, our friendship fell apart and I ended up going through recruitment week on my own and came out as a member of Alpha Chi Omega.

Through Alpha Chi Omega, I’ve found a home with an amazing group of girls that come from all sorts of places and all stages of life. They’ve become my new family and the best one I’ve had yet. As a new member last spring (2015), my favorite event was the Carnation Ball. This is the very last event that Alpha Chi Omega hosts for the year, and takes place around late April/May before school ends. There’s a photobooth, music, dancing, and snacks. It’s a great time to destress and dress up with your sisters and dates!