Healthcare MBA Chicago Trip: Science Museum!

This week I am in Chicago with the rest of the healthcare students in my class. We flew up Sunday to attend the 2014 ACHE Congress on Healthcare Leadership.  Sunday night we simply registered and had the night to ourselves to enjoy Chicago. On Monday we attended an opening session for the congress and many of us also had sessions that dealt with career preparation and leadership. We all decided ahead of time to schedule most of our sessions of Wednesday so that we could have Tuesday to enjoy Chicago during the daytime.  Although I am looking forward to my sessions tomorrow, I am so glad that we had today free!

This afternoon I visited the Museum of Science and Industry with four of my classmates. One of my favorite things to do when visiting a new city is to visit their main science museum. I was especially interested in making it to the Science and Industry because of the Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives exhibit they’re hosting. I will also have a special place in my heart for Disney between my love of Disney as a child and from my years living in Orlando. Needless to say, I was excited to go!

I cannot say enough about this museum.  It is incredibly impressive and massive. My only wish is that we would have had more time to explore!  The museum is home to numerous exhibits including a genetics and baby chick hatchery, a science storms exhibit, an exhibit on the art of bicycles, a toy maker where you can watch your very own top be made from start to finish, a farm tech exhibit, and more. I sometimes find that I can get through science museums within a few hours, but I could have easily spent an entire day at this museum. I definitely would like to go back the next time I’m in Chicago.

One other thing that really impressed me is just how innovative and interactive the museum was. I know that more and more science museums are incorporating touch screens and other, more advanced, ways of interacting with science into their exhibits. I was very impressed by how much this museum has done so. Gone are the days of pressing a single button at the science museum. It’s wonderful and inspiring to see first hand how technology is being utilized to help educate young people.

Erin

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.