Alumni Interview — Dr. John Erickson (’00)

With each year that passes there are more and more BIC graduates doing great work all over the world. Each spring we publish brief “Alumni Updates” where our alumni can tell us some about their post-BIC lives. In addition to these annual updates, we post interviews with our alumni. Today we are excited to post an interview with Dr. John Erickson (’00). We hope you enjoy, and if you are interested in being interviewed for a future blog post, email us at BIC@baylor.edu.

ericksonWhat year did you graduate, what did you study?

I graduated in 2000 from Baylor with a Bachelor of Arts from the University Scholars’ Program. In addition to the BIC program, the scholars program further allowed me to study a broad variety of subjects from multiple departments within the university. I had a pre-medical focus to prepare me for medical school, but I also explored philosophy, religion, psychology, art history, and Spanish. I feel like I left Baylor with a solid foundation in science as well as humanities.

What are you doing currently for work? What do you enjoy most about work?

I am an orthopedic surgeon specialized in hand surgery. I was initially attracted to this field of medicine because of the beauty and complexity of hand anatomy, which fascinated me at an early age. I coupled this interest with my desire to help others, and this profession seemed to be a natural fit for me. We usually take our hands for granted – but when they are in pain or do not function well, it becomes very clear how important they are to us. I find great satisfaction in helping patients regain use of their hands, and knowing that I did my best to help someone in need.

How has your BIC education influenced your life and career?

BIC provided me with a good foundation for interacting with people from all walks of life. As a doctor, I try to help patients from various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. Part of being a good doctor is getting to know the patient and assessing what might be the best course of treatment for him or her. Since everyone is different, both physically and mentally, what works well for one patient may not work well for another. This human-side of my job is the most interesting to me.

Is there something you learned in BIC that sticks with you?

I learned that you can understand a lot about people by walking in their shoes.

What are your future goals?

I hope to continue to become a better doctor and surgeon by learning from my patients and physician colleagues.

Anything else? 

I hope my daughter becomes a Baylor Bear one day! Sic ‘em Bears!

This entry was posted in Alumni, Alumni Interviews. Bookmark the permalink.