Feature Blog 10/3

The story, “Searching for Gary Smith,” is about Gary Smith’s life and career. It was written by Sarah Perry. The story covers the different people he has interviewed, his career as a journalist, and some of his personal life.

The author uses an anecdotal lead.

The nut graph is “Gary Smith, big shot sportswriter, is a four-time winner of the National Magazine Award, the undisputed heavyweight champion of the magazine world’s most celebrated writers. Gary’s first “Ellie” award arrived in 1992 with “Shadow of a Nation,” the story of Jonathon Takes Enemy, a Crow Indian basketball player pulled apart and put back together by fortune, family and generations of loss. Gary struck again in 1997 with “Crime and Punishment,” about another high school basketball star convicted and branded as a sex offender. Then, 2000, for the infamous Texas Christian University football team, and — bam! — in 2003, one more time, for George O’Leary, the Notre Dame coach who had the world at his fingertips, and lost it all because of a lie on a resume.” It is recognizing Smith’s excellent career as one of the world’s most celebrated magazine writers. He has won multiple awards and has been recognized for his writings.

The bigger issue behind a personal profile is that he always treats people as if he is interviewing. He always seems to analyze people and figure them out.

An example of descriptive copy is, “A balmy day in L.A., lanes of traffic, horns blaring. The car dances over the lane markers. Clack, clack, clack. The car weaves in and out, next to this car, then another.” The writer describes traffic on a hot day in Los Angeles. The writer uses the feel, sight, and sound senses.

I counted six sources in the story.

I thought that the part of Gary Smith traveling around Europe was a little boring, but it was helpful it learning about how he found himself.

I liked the ending. It ties well with the beginning, because it returns to the story about Muhammad Ali.

I think I got a lot of knowledge about Gary Smith. I learned more about him than I know about any other writer. It was interesting about how he conducted his interviews.

I liked that the story was really informative. It gave me a lot of information with which to work.

I did not like that the story seemed to jump around from topic to topic. It did not seem to flow as well as it should have.