The Los Angeles Times: September 26, 2013

This week I looked at the Los Angeles Times for my blog post. I am evaluating the September 26 publication of the Los Angeles Times. This particular news outlet seems to focus on local, California news. It also touches on national and international news but you can tell it is clearly no their dominant focus. The main topics they cover are local, U.S., world, business, sports, entertainment, health, and style.

One of the top stories on the website was “21-year-old man arrested in Dodger fan’s slaying, S.F. police say.” This article debriefs the reader about the progress of the police search for the murderer of Jonathan Denver. The article said that San Francisco police confirmed that Michael Montgomery is in their custody in connection with the fatal stabbing of Denver. Denver and his brother were in San Francisco to watch the Dodgers play the Giants; this is one of baseball’s most famous rivalries. After leaving the game, Denver and his friends encountered a group of Giant fans and began arguing about the rivalry. The argument quickly escalated into a quarrel that resulted in the stabbing of Denver. Denver was declared dead at the San Francisco General Hospital on Wednesday night. After this traumatic event, authorities said they would provide extra security at Thursday night’s game. They said that even in a historic rivalry like this violence is unacceptable. The Giants said they would have a moment of silence before the game Thursday in order to honor the passing of Denver.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-suspect-arrested-dodger-fan-20130926,0,1542965.story

One article that caught my interest was “Downtown San Diego condo market’s long drought may be ending.” The reason why this article got my attention is because I am in love with San Diego. Besides Chicago, I would consider San Diego my favorite city. The article let readers know that San Diego’s condo market’s future is looking bright. After not completing one unit since 2009, Canadian developer, Nat Bosa, plans on constructing a 41-story luxury tower near the waterfront. Bosa sees this as a huge business opportunity because of the dramatic rise in prices this past year.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-san-diego-condos-20130927,0,3524017.story

Another article got my attention was “Glitch delays online tools for U.S. health insurance marketplaces because it has to do with my group media blog project. The article points out two delays in important online tools that are supposed to be ready on Tuesday to enroll Americans in insurance under the Affordable Care Act. One problem is that small businesses in certain states will have to use paper forms to sign up their employees for health care instead of the online tools. The other problem is that Spanish-speaking Americans will have to use an English-language enrollment system until October 21. This is due to glitches in the Spanish-language online version. Even with these glitches, a White House spokesperson Jay Carney said that everyone will be able to enroll on October 1.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-obamacare-delay-20130927,0,2496119.story

I think the Los Angeles Times appeals to people in the west coast and more specifically California residents. I think this for the reason that the articles seem to be centralized around local news in California. Even though the geography of the audience seems to be narrow, I think that the spectrum of ages that read the Los Angeles Times is broad. I think younger ages can find topics that appeal to their interests while older adults can stay up to date on current events.

I did enjoy reading the articles of this paper. One thing that I liked about the paper was that you can tell they continuously update their website. I liked this because as the reader it is good to know that the things you are reading are current and up to date. I thought the articles were to the point and flowed nicely. I think I would recommend this paper to those who wanted to stay updated on events that happened on the west coast.