Media Blog 9/25

Today September 25, in the Los Angeles Times, it was reported that the Madre fire near Azusa reached 90 percent containment. This is good news because the winds were said to have been a large factor in the spreading of this fire. Nearly 268-acres were up in flames as it moved out of San Gabriel Canyon, due to the high winds. The National Weather Service issued a high-wind warning, which was carrying embers and sparks, aiding in the spread of the large fire. To gain better contain with the fire at one point 522 firefighters were assigned to the job.

This is just one of the local news stories that is covered within this large newspaper that is based in one of California’s largest cities. One of the differences of this paper is… unlike New York Times is that it also gives local stories. There is not a tab that I could find on the Internet site for the NY Times that would allow me to just focus on local news.  I am sure that in the NY Times that they have stories about what is going on in New York, but they are probably major stories that most news organizations would also cover. The LA Times is very much like the NY times in that they cover many of the same stories. These stories include issues that are domestic and foreign. They focus on national and international business and a large variety of other topics.

In other serious news the gunman of the Navy Yard shooting believed that he was subjected to an “ultra low frequency attack.” He also stated that it the test had been going on for the past three months and that is what led him to his attacks. He was believed to have had no specific targets in his shoot and that he didn’t expect to make it out alive after murdering innocent people.

On the light side of news, Oracle Team USA came back from a 2-race deficit to win the America’s Cup in sailing. The catamarans engaged in what was said to be the longest and arguably the most exciting series in America’s Cup history. After a long hard battle the Oracle team crossed the finish line 44 seconds before the second place finisher.

The audience for this outlet is someone with interest in really any news. The sources covers so many topics I would find it hard to believe someone didn’t find something that appealed to him or her. The outlet is one that has such a variety they are bound to find something that will catch their attention rather it be stocks to the medicine field.

I found the media outlet to be quite interesting. It has a nice flow it and I would definitely read articles on it again. I love a newspaper that I feel isn’t clustered and trying to give you as much information that they can pack on the page. All in all I give this source a big thumbs up from me, and that’s coming from a guy who tries to avoid reading at all cost.