Grammar Rant- Monday

Grammar and I have a love/hate relationship. I hate it, because growing up I always had to use correct grammar. My great-grandmother was a grammar teacher, so she was very strict with my grandmother and mother, who ended up raising me to speak properly. My mom even made me start paying her ten cents any time I said the word “ain’t.” Even though it was put in the dictionary, it still was proper grammar. So that made me mad.

I love grammar, though, because it makes me feel intelligent. I can pick out when people use incorrect grammar, and if my friends use incorrect grammar, I correct them, which tick them off. I think grammar is important because it makes people sound more intelligent and competent in the professional field.

For most of my life, I have had difficulty distinguishing when to use “whom” or “who.” It is not that hard of a rule to remember, but for some reason I always seem to forget it.

I don’t know if there is anything that can help me understand grammar more as of now.

My biggest grammar pet peeve is when people end sentences with a preposition. It wasn’t that big of a deal to me until my freshman year when I took Environmental Science. My professor, Larry Lehr, mad a big deal about it in class, because people kept doing it on written assignments, so now I am more aware of when people end sentences with prepositions. When I look at it, it’s probably a dumb rule to get upset about.